Dynamite Smith is a 1924 American silent drama film directed by Ralph Ince and written by C. Gardner Sullivan. The film stars Charles Ray, Bessie Love, and Wallace Beery, and was distributed through Pathé Exchange.
Bessie Love and Wallace Beery
|Directed by||Ralph Ince|
|Screenplay by||C. Gardner Sullivan|
|Story by||C. Gardner Sullivan|
|Cinematography||Henry Sharp (French)|
|Distributed by||Pathé Exchange|
|6,400 feet; approx. 70 minutes|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The film is presumed lost.
Gladstone Smith (Ray) is a young San Francisco literary editor, who, in his first assignment as a reporter, upsets murderer "Slugger" Rourke (Beery) so much that he must flee to Alaska with his sweetheart Kitty Gray (Logan). Gladstone brings with the killer's pregnant wife Violet (Love) with him, so that her child can be born away from the saloons and bars of San Francisco. Slugger pursues them in Alaska, where the baby is born, and Violet dies shortly thereafter. Gladstone is able to trap Slugger in a bear trap. Gladstone lights a dynamite fuse, and changes his mind about using it at the last minute, but it explodes, killing Slugger. Gladstone, Kitty, and the baby are safe.
- Charles Ray as Gladstone Smith
- Wallace Beery as "Slugger" Rourke
- Bessie Love as Violet
- Jacqueline Logan as Kitty Gray
- Ethelbert Knott as Dad Gray (credited as Adelbert Knott)
- Lydia Knott as Aunt Mehitabel
- Russell Powell as Colin MacClintock
- S.D. Wilcox as Marshall, White City
- Jim Hart as Faro Dealer
Grace Kingsley of the Los Angeles Times, Florence Lawrence of the Los Angeles Examiner, and Guy Price of the Los Angeles Herald all gave high praise to Charles Ray for his performance – which universally received rave reviews – and the film served as a comeback vehicle for him. The performances of Beery, Logan, and Love all received positive reviews as well.
- Love, Bessie (1977). From Hollywood with Love: An Autobiography of Bessie Love. London: Elm Tree Books. p. 152. OCLC 734075937.
- "Charles Ray in 'Dynamite Smith'". The Film Daily. September 7, 1924. p. 8.
- "Dynamite Smith / Ralph Ince [motion picture]". Library of Congress.
- Munden, Kenneth W., ed. (1971). The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States: Feature Films 1921–1930. New York: R.R. Bowker Company. p. 208. OCLC 664500075.
- Sewell, C.S. (September 13, 1924). "Dynamite Smith". The Moving Picture World. p. 159.
- Pardy, George T. (September 20, 1924). "Box Office Reviews". Exhibitors Trade Review. p. 41.
- Powell, A. Van Buren, ed. (November 15, 1924). "Straight from the Shoulder Reports". Moving Picture World. p. 241.
- "'Dynamite Smith' Classed as One of Best October Films". Moving Picture World. November 29, 1924. p. 427.
- "'Dynamite Smith' Wins Praise of Los Angeles Reviewers". Moving Picture World. November 29, 1924. p. 557.