Duke's Big 4
Duke's Big 4 is a studio album by American pianist, composer and bandleader Duke Ellington featuring a small group session with Joe Pass, Ray Brown and Louie Bellson recorded in January 1973 and released on the Pablo label in 1974.
|Duke's Big 4|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||January 8, 1973|
|Duke Ellington chronology|
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4½ stars and states "One of Duke Ellington's finest small group sessions from his final decade was this frequently exciting quartet date... Ellington's percussive style always sounded modern and he comes up with consistently strong solos... Highly recommended".
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|
- All compositions by Duke Ellington except as indicated
- "Cotton Tail" – 4:17
- "The Blues" – 5:28
- "The Hawk Talks" (Louie Bellson) – 5:10
- "Prelude to a Kiss" (Ellington, Irving Gordon, Irving Mills) – 5:43
- "Love You Madly" – 6:38
- "Just Squeeze Me (But Please Don't Tease Me)" (Ellington, Lee Gaines) – 6:07
- "Everything But You" (Ellington, Don George, Harry James) – 5:19
- Recorded in Los Angeles, California on January 8, 1973.