Driftwood (1947 film)
Driftwood is a 1947 drama film produced and directed by Allan Dwan and starring Natalie Wood as a little orphan girl who adopts a collie. The movie also stars Ruth Warrick, Walter Brennan, Dean Jagger and Charlotte Greenwood.
|Directed by||Allan Dwan|
|Produced by||Allan Dwan|
|Written by||Mary Loos|
|Music by||Nathan Scott|
|Edited by||Arthur Roberts|
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
- Ruth Warrick as Susan Moore
- Walter Brennan as Murph
- Dean Jagger as Dr. Steve Webster
- Charlotte Greenwood as Mathilda
- Natalie Wood as Jenny Hollingsworth
- Jerome Cowan as Mayor Snyder
- H. B. Warner as Rev. J. Hollingsworth / "Grandpappy"
- Margaret Hamilton as Essie Keenan
- Hobart Cavanaugh as Judge Beckett
- Francis Ford as Abner Green
- Alan Napier as Dr. Nicholas Adams
- Howland Chamberlain as Hiram Trumbell
- James Bell as Sheriff Bolton
- Teddy Infuhr as Lester Snyder
- James Kirkwood as Rev. MacDougal
- Ray Teal as Clem Perkins
- Zeke Holland as Blaine Perkins
On February 1, 2018, Richard Brody of The New Yorker praised Driftwood as an "electrifying, eccentric masterwork" from director Allan Dwan, a film that has a "near-journalistic devotion to detail" and "both typifies and expands Dwan’s core inspiration: his dramatization of a thick tangle of social connections and conflicting lines of power and passion that seemingly bring the town itself to life along with its individual characters." Brody also commented that the character of Jenny Hollingsworth is "one of the most idiosyncratic and original child characters I’ve seen in a Hollywood movie".
A new restoration of Driftwood by Paramount Pictures, The Film Foundation, and Martin Scorsese was screened at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) on February 2, 2018. The screening was part of the museum's program of showcasing 30 restored films from the library of Republic Pictures curated by Scorsese.
- Brody, Richard (1 February 2018). "An Eccentric Masterwork Unearthed in Martin Scorsese's MOMA Series". The New Yorker. Condé Nast. Retrieved 6 February 2018.
- "Martin Scorsese Presents Republic Rediscovered: New Restorations from Paramount Pictures" (PDF). MoMA Press. The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Driftwood on IMDb
- Driftwood at the TCM Movie Database
- Driftwood at AllMovie
- Driftwood at Rotten Tomatoes