Douglas C. Waller
Douglas Waller was born on June 30, 1949 in Norfolk, Virginia, and holds a B.A. in English from Wake Forest University, as well as an M.A. in Urban Administration from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
Waller describes himself as a veteran correspondent, author and lecturer. From 1994 to 2007, Waller served in TIME Magazine's Washington Bureau, where he covered foreign affairs as a diplomatic correspondent. He came to TIME in 1994 from Newsweek, where he reported on major military conflicts. Waller joined Newsweek in 1988, after serving as a legislative assistant on the staffs of Senator William Proxmire and Representative Edward J. Markey.
In a review posted online on June 25, 2015, Kirkus Reviews described his book Disciples as "one of the more interesting spy books this year." In the October 3–4, 2015 "Five Best" column in the Wall Street Journal Books section, Waller presented his personal choice of what he considered to be the five best works on American espionage in World War II.
Waller and his wife, Judy, live in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- SDI: PROGRESS AND CHALLENGES with Douglas Cook and James Bruce (March 1986)
- Commandos: The Making of America's Secret Soldiers, from Training to Desert Storm (1994) ISBN 0-671-78717-9
- Air Warriors: The Inside Story of the Making of a Navy Pilot (1998) ISBN 0-440-23531-6
- Big Red: The Three-Month Voyage of a Trident Nuclear Submarine (2001) ISBN 0-380-82078-1
- A Question of Loyalty: Gen. Billy Mitchell and the Court-Martial that Gripped the Nation (2004) ISBN 0-06-050547-8
- Wild Bill Donovan: The Spymaster Who Created the OSS and Modern American Espionage (2011) Free Press ISBN 1-4165-6744-5
- Disciples: The World War II Missions of the CIA Directors Who Fought for Wild Bill Donovan (2015) Simon & Schuster ISBN 978-1-4516-9372-0
- Shultz, Richard H.; Pfaltzgraff, Robert L. (June 1, 2000). The role of naval forces in 21st-century operations. Brassey's. p. 82. ISBN 978-1-57488-256-8. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "DISCIPLES The World War II Missions of the CIA Directors Who Fought for Wild Bill Donovan". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Douglas Waller: Biography". Douglas C. Waller. Archived from the original on May 5, 2016. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- "Douglas Waller on American espionage in World War II". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Douglas Waller on American espionage in World War II" (PDF). Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- "SDI: PROGRESS AND CHALLENGES". dtic.mil. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Swashbuckling Spymaster". New York Times. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- Douglas's official website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Douglas C. Waller on Charlie Rose
- Works by or about Douglas C. Waller in libraries (WorldCat catalog)