Double Trouble (1967 film)
Double Trouble is a 1967 American musical film starring Elvis Presley. The comedic plot concerns an American singer who crosses paths with criminals in Europe. The movie was #58 on the year-end list of the top-grossing films of 1967.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Screenplay by||Jo Heims|
|Story by||Mark Brandel|
|Music by||Jeff Alexander|
|Cinematography||Daniel L. Fapp|
|Edited by||John McSweeney Jr.|
|Box office||$1,600,000 (US/ Canada)|
Howard Thompson of The New York Times called the film "pretty fair and far better than the last three Presley clinkers," adding, "The studio-photographed action, most of it very silly, has been blended rather neatly with the authentic backgrounds. At least the picture moves. Furthermore, the good tunes arrive thick and fast, and several numbers are festive and charming." Variety wrote that the film "appears to have been whipped up to showcase a big name without much thought of content other than to serve as footage to cash in on the star's draw," though the review thought that Presley "gives a pretty fair account of himself despite what's handed him and the substantial hold he wields over his public should help reception." Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times praised the "likable" cast and production values that were better than those of most Presley films: "The cast never left Culver City, but you would never know it, so cleverly have quaint Belgian streets and other European settings been reproduced on the back lot." The Monthly Film Bulletin wrote, "As an attempt to provide Presley with slightly different material (while retaining, of course, the usual plethora of songs), this comedy-thriller misfires, despite its genial approach."
- "Double Trouble - Details". AFI Catalog of Feature Films. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "Big Rental Films of 1967" in Variety, 3 January 1968, p. 25. Please note these figures refer to rentals accruing to the distributors.
- Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media 2013
- Thompson, Howard (May 25, 1967). "Presley With Scenery". The New York Times: 54.
- "Double Trouble". Variety: 6. April 5, 1967.
- Thomas, Kevin. "'Double Trouble' in Citywide Showing". Los Angeles Times. June 23, 1967. Part IV, p. 8.
- "Double Trouble", The Monthly Film Bulletin, 34 (404): 140, September 1967