Dorothy Cantor is an American psychologist and a former president of the American Psychological Association.
Dorothy W. Cantor
|Education||Doctor of Psychology (PsyD)|
|Alma mater||Rutgers University|
American Psychological Association
|Board member of||American Psychological Foundation|
|Awards||Hall of Distinguished Alumni at Rutgers, 2009|
In 1976, Cantor graduated from Rutgers University with a Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree. She was in the first graduating class of the Rutgers PsyD program. Rutgers was the second school in the U.S. to offer the degree, which was focused on professional practice rather than on preparation for academia.
Cantor has held leadership roles in several organizations, including a term as president of the New Jersey Psychological Association and service on the board of trustees at Rutgers. She co-founded the political action committee known as Women in Psychology for Legislative Action. Until Cantor joined the APA leadership in the 1990s, the organization had been led by PhD-prepared academics and researchers. She served as APA president in 1996 and was the eighth woman to hold the position. She was the first female in professional practice and the first holder of a PsyD to head the association. Cantor has also served as president of the American Psychological Foundation.
- Guido, Anthony. "GSAPP alumna breaks new ground". Rutgers University. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Dorothy Cantor, PsyD". American Psychological Association. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- Wertheimer, Michael (2011). A Brief History of Psychology. Psychology Press. p. 127. ISBN 1848728743. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Six new members to join Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni". Rutgers University. March 25, 2009. Archived from the original on March 6, 2016. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Charles L. Brewer Award for Distinguished Teaching of Psychology" (PDF). American Psychologist. 69 (5): 480–482. July–August 2014. doi:10.1037/a0037095. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 25, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.