Doors Open (film)
Doors Open is a 2012 Scottish thriller heist film directed by Marc Evans, starring Douglas Henshall, Stephen Fry, Lenora Crichlow and Kenneth Collard. It is based on the novel of the same name by Ian Rankin, about a self-made millionaire, an art professor and a banker, who come together to undertake an audacious art heist. The film was commissioned by ITV and produced by Stephen Fry's Sprout Pictures production company. It was officially released on 26 December 2012 in the UK.
ITV promotional poster
|Based on||Doors Open|
by Ian Rankin
|Written by||James Mavor|
|Directed by||Marc Evans|
|Theme music composer||Jeremy Holland-Smith|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sprout Pictures|
After an evening’s drinking with Professor Gissing (Fry), an art expert, and banker Allan Cruickshank (Collard), self-made millionaire Mike McKenzie (Henshall) and his friends dream up a plot to rip-off one of the most high-profile targets in the country – Edinburgh’s private art collection owned by a national bank.
- Douglas Henshall as Mike McKenzie
- Stephen Fry as Professor Gissing
- Lenora Crichlow as Laura Stanton
- Kenneth Collard as Allan Cruickshank
- Brian McCardie as Charlie Calloway
- Elliot Cowan as Bruce Cameron
- Philip Whitchurch as The Geordie
- Paul McCole as Glenn
- Rab Affleck as Hate
- Sarah McCardie as Carol
- Bobby Rainsbury as HR Woman
- Ellie O'Brien as Theresa
Filming began on 23 April 2012 in Edinburgh. Parts of the film were also shot on the coast of the Scottish Borders and Garvald, East Lothian, with saleroom scenes shot at Edinburgh auction house, Lyon & Turnbull.
- "When One Door Closes. Film Director Marc Evans Has Got Everyone's Favourite Polymath, Stephen Fry, Stealing Masterpieces in the Big Boxing Day Drama on ITV1 This Year, Doors Open. the Welsh Visionary Leads Our 10 Pages of Christmas and New Year TV Highlights Compiled by the Ever Festive Nathan 'Santa Baby' Bevan". Questia. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Stephen Fry and Dougie Henshall to star in Ian Rankin adaptation on ITV". RadioTimes. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Lenora Crichlow Co-Stars In ITV Heist Drama 'Doors Open'". Indiewire. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Doors Open starring Stephen Fry, Douglas Henshall, ITV1 PREVIEW". Crime Time Preview. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "Ian Rankin on the TV adaptation of 'Doors Open'". The Scotsman. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- (2015) Filmed here - 2012, Doors Open, Marc Evans Archived 20 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine Film Edinburgh, Retrieved 20 February 2015