Donald Clement Hart (29 September 1930 – 8 February 2018) was an Australian rules footballer who played with Fitzroy, and Richmond, in the Victorian Football League (VFL), and with Brighton Football Club in the Victorian Football Association (VFA).
|Full name||Donald Clement Hart|
|Date of birth||29 September 1930|
|Date of death||8 February 2018 87)(aged|
|Original team(s)||Westgarth Socials|
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||77 kg (170 lb)|
|1950–51, 1953||Fitzroy||37 (43)|
|1956-1958||Brighton (VFA)||53 142|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1962.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
The son of Frederick Arthur Hart, and Elizabeth Hart, née King, Donald Clement Hart was born on 29 September 1930.
A strong, safe mark, with lots of pace, and a long left-foot kick, Hart played at full-forward and at centre half-forward.
Hart played for Fitzroy over three seasons (1950, 1951, 1953); he played in 37 First XVIII games, scoring 44 goals, and in 20 Second XVII games (scoring 31 goals in 1953 alone).
Hart transferred to Richmond at the start of the 1954 season, playing in 5 First XVIII games, scoring 2 goals, and in 16 Second XVIII games, scoring 48 goals.
He played at centre half-forward, kicking one goal, in the Richmond Second XVIII team that beat Melbourne 10.20 (80) to 4.9 (33) in the 1954 Grand Final; and, with a season tally of 48 goals, he was the leading goal-kicker in the VFL Seconds competition that year.
Over three seasons (1956-1958) he played 55 senior games and kicked 143 goals.
He played 96 games and kicked 462 goals in his five seasons (1958-1962) with the Mornington Football Club in the Mornington Peninsula Football League.
- Vale Max Cole and Donald Hart.
- Hogan (1996), p.94.
- Holmesby (2014), p.370.
- VFA Project.
- Woman's Page, The Argus, (Monday, 11 October 1954), p.10.
- Photo, The Argus, Saturday, 2 September 1950), p.10.
- Don Hart, Roberts Out For Season: Injuries Hit Fitzroy, The Age, (Friday, 4 April 1952), p.15.
- Pacy Richmond Takes Seconds' Premiership, The Age, (Monday, 27 September 1954), p.16.
- Seconds Thrashed in Vic., The (Adelaide) News, (Saturday, 19 June 1954), p.16; Seconds Swamp Visitors, The Argus, (Monday, 21 June 1954), p.19.
- Mornington's Flag After Ten Years, The Age, (Monday, 3 October 1960), p.22.
- "Herald Sun Tributes".
- "Vale Max Cole and Donald Hart - lions.com.au". lions.com.au. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Hogan P: The Tigers Of Old, Richmond FC, (Melbourne), 1996. ISBN 0-646-18748-1
- Holmesby, Russell; Main, Jim (2014). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers: every AFL/VFL player since 1897 (10th ed.). Seaford, Victoria: BAS Publishing. p. 370. ISBN 978-1-921496-32-5.
- Ross, J. (ed), 100 Years of Australian Football 1897–1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported, Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
- The VFA Project: Hart, Don.