Dominican Campaign Medal
The Dominican Campaign Medal is a military decoration of the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps which was created on December 29, 1921. To be awarded the Dominican Campaign Medal, a servicemember must have performed active military duty in the Dominican Republic between the dates of May 5 and December 4, 1916.
|Dominican Campaign Medal|
|Awarded by Department of the Navy|
|Awarded for||Service in the Dominican Republic|
|Campaign(s)||Santo Domingo Campaign of 1916|
|Established||December 29, 1921|
|First awarded||May 5, 1916|
|Last awarded||December 4, 1916|
ribbon and streamer
The medal commemorates the 1916 United States invasion of the Dominican Republic. The medal was designed by Adolph Alexander Weinman, and the design approved by the United States Commission of Fine Arts in November 1923. It was the first Navy and Marine Corps medal whose reverse face contained the inscription "For Service" on a straight line. (All previous reverse faces of Navy and Marine Corps medals had placed the inscription on a curve.)
- Grosvenor, Gilber Hovey. Insignia and Decorations of the U.S. Armed Forces. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, 1945, p. 57.
- "Sketches of Lamp Post Given Art Commission." Washington Post. November 16, 1923.
- Emering, Edward J. U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Campaign and Commemorative Medals. Atglen, Pa.: Schiffer Publishing, 1998, p. 4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dominican Campaign Medal.|