Dole Nutrition Institute
The Dole Nutrition Institute (DNI) is a research and education foundation within the Dole Food Company and is based in Kannapolis, North Carolina at the North Carolina Research Campus. The DNI was founded by David H. Murdock in 2003. The institute exists as a resource offering educational publications on a plant-based diet.
Employee wellness program
Corporate wellness toolkit
The Corporate Wellness Toolkit teaches businesses how to promote healthy eating and exercise. The kit includes signage, newsletters, videos, and instructional materials which encourage businesses to provide weight loss seminars, trainers, and healthier foods for their employees.
Dole Nutrition Institute School Salad Days
The School Salad Days program was designed to encourage healthy eating habits and promote daily fruit and vegetable consumption in California public schools. The pilot program was launched in 2006 with the donation of fifty full-service portable salad bars to public schools in California. DNI gave these schools nutrition information, worked with schools to develop fruit baskets to be sold as fund-raising alternatives, and helped schools plant on-site "edible gardens".
Dole Nutrition Institute and Children's Hunger Fund (CHF)
In 2007, Dole Nutrition Institute donated nearly 250,000 nutrition-focused publications to the Children's Hunger Fund (CHF), an international non-profit organization. CHF is now including these materials in their Food Paks, 20 lb. boxes of staple foods, which are delivered to the homes of needy families. The donation included DNI’s "Health & Wellness" brochure series and "What You Need to Eat Every Day & Why" in English and Spanish. For the children, "Dole's 5-A-Day the Color Way" coloring books and bookmarks help kids focus on their own nutrition and to make good food choices in the future.
- Bruni, Frank (March 3, 2011). "The Billionaire Who Is Planning His 125th Birthday". The New York Times. New York Times Magazine.
- Governor Schwarzenegger Honors Dole Nutrition Institute's School Salad Days Program to Fight Obesity in California Public Schools Business Wire, Sept 15, 2005 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Sept_15/ai_n15392458
- Independent Tribune (Concord, North Carolina), April 15, 2007 Sunday, STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS, 1028 words, Ben McNeely, Independent Tribune, Concord, N.C.
- Reuters Dole Nutrition News Wins Web Marketing Association's Outstanding Achievement Award Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50pm EDT https://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS259766+29-Apr-2008+BW20080429
- Drug Week, May 16, 2008, EXPANDED REPORTING Pg. 2024
- Dole offers HR success to others. San Fernando Valley Business Journal http://www.enotes.com/san-fernando-valley-business-journal-journals/174597440
- Belleville News-Democrat (Illinois), January 1, 2008 Tuesday, C; Pg. 1, 223 words, GWEN SCHOEN, McClatchy Newspapers
- Childrens [sic] Hunger Fund and Dole Work to Distribute Nutrition Education Materials CSRWIRE Corporate Social Responsibility Newswire http://www.csrwire.com/News/9700.html