Divisions of the University of Oxford
The various academic faculties, departments, and institutes of the University of Oxford are organised into four divisions, each with its own Head and elected board. They are the Humanities Division; the Social Sciences Division; the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division; and the Medical Sciences Division.
The Humanities Division has received considerable praise for its work at the forefront of digitising the Humanities. The Humanities Division has been physically expanding into the new Radcliffe Observatory Quarter in Oxford.
The current Head of the Humanities Division is Professor Chris Wickham. Professor Sally Shuttleworth was Head from 2006 to 2011, and Professor Shearer West served as Head between August 2011 and 2015.
- Rothermere American Institute
- Ruskin School of Art
- Faculty of Classics
- Faculty of English Language and Literature
- Faculty of History
- History of Art Department
- Faculty of Linguistics, Philology & Phonetics
- Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages
- Faculty of Music
- Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Theology and Religion
- The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities (TORCH)
- Voltaire Foundation
Medical Sciences Division
Medicine has been taught at the University of Oxford since the 13th century. In 1770, John Radcliffe, an Oxford-educated physician founded the Radcliffe Infirmary. The current Head of the division is Gavin Screaton. Professor Alastair Buchan was head from 2007-2017
- Department of Biochemistry
- Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine
- Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences
- Department of Experimental Psychology
- Radcliffe Department of Medicine
- Department of Oncology
- Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences
- Department of Paediatrics
- Sir William Dunn School of Pathology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Physiology, Anatomy & Genetics
- Nuffield Department of Population Health
- Department of Primary Care Health Sciences
- Department of Psychiatry
- Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences
- Nuffield Department of Women's & Reproductive Health
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics is a research institute of the Nuffield Department of Medicine.
The Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response is a partnership between the Nuffield Department of Medicine and CUHK Faculty of Medicine.
The Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology is a division of the Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences.
The CRUK/MRC Oxford Institute for Radiation Oncology is a research institute of the Department of Oncology.
The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine is a research centre of the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences.
Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division (MPLS)
- Begbroke Science Park
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Oxford e-Research Centre
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Engineering Science
- Life Sciences Interface Doctoral Training Centre
- Department of Materials
- Mathematical Institute
- Department of Physics
- Department of Plant Sciences
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Zoology
Social Sciences Division
The Social Sciences Division represents the largest grouping of social sciences of any University in the United Kingdom. As a major provider of social science research, it is accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council as a Doctoral Training Centre of excellence in research training. From 2018 the division's head is Professor Sarah Whatmore. From 2008 to 2017 the head was Professor Roger Goodman.
- School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography
- School of Archaeology
- Saïd Business School
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- School of Geography and the Environment
- Blavatnik School of Government
- Oxford School of Global and Area Studies
- Department of International Development
- Oxford Internet Institute
- Faculty of Law
- Oxford Martin School
- Department of Politics and International Relations
- Department of Social Policy and Intervention
- Department of Sociology
Department for Continuing Education
The Department for Continuing Education works with the divisions to promote continuing education.
- "Statute VII: Divisions, Faculties, Sub-faculties, Departments, and the Department for Continuing Education". Statutes and Regulations of the University of Oxford. University of Oxford. 1 October 2012.
- "Oxford humanities goes digital". myScience. 18 April 2010.
- "Viñoly and Bennetts Associates' designs for Oxford University revealed". 15 October 2009.
- "... and welcome to Professor Chris Wickham as Head of the Humanities Division for 2015/16". Humanities Division. University of Oxford. 3 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 October 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "New Head of Humanities appointed". University of Oxford. 9 February 2011. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- "Divisions and departments". ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "The History of the Oxford Medical School". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 27 January 2007. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- History of Medical Sciences
- "Farewell message from the outgoing Head of Division, Professor Alastair Buchan". medsci.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Welcome to the WHG". well.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Collaborations and Ventures, Nuffield Department of Medicine, Oxford University". University of Oxford. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- "Structure and impact". ndcn.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Welcome to the Department of Oncology". oncology.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "PHC Research". phc.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "New Head of the MPLS Division". Oxford University. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Alex Halliday". Oxford University Earth Sciences. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- "Welcome to the Social Sciences Division". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Development Programme - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Social Sciences". University of Oxford. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Funding - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Sarah Whatmore". University of Oxford Social sciences Division. Retrieved 4 October 2018.