Dispersion Technology Inc is a scientific instrument manufacturer located in Bedford Hills, New York. Founded in 1996 by Philip Goetz (former Chairman, retired in 2010) and Dr. Andrei Dukhin (current CEO), the company develops and sells analytical instruments intended for characterizing concentrated dispersions and emulsions, complying with the International Standards for acoustic particle sizing ISO 20998 and Electroacoustic zeta potential measurement ISO 13099.
|Headquarters||Bedford Hills, New York|
|Andrei Dukhin, CEO|
Dispersion Technology manufactures a family of ultrasound based instruments for measuring particle size, zeta potential, high frequency rheology, and solid content in concentrated systems without diluting them.
Founders Dukhin and Goetz have written two books published by Elsevier describing the details of these methods, underlying theories, and applications of the instruments manufactured by Dispersion Technology.
Co-Founder Dr. Andrei Dukhin and his father Dr. Stanislav Dukhin were the subject of a 2009 feature in the American Chemical Society documenting their research done in the former Soviet Union; their contributions to the fields of electrokinetics, colloid science, DLVO theory, etc.; and their immigration to the United States as a part of the Soviet Scientists Immigration Act of 1992
Research utilizing instrumentation
Scientific papers have been published using instruments manufactured by Dispersion Technology to study the following kinds of systems:
- NYS Department of State Entity Information, Retrieved: 8 October 2013
- "Yellow book, Local businesses location, Address of Dispersion Technology". Yellowbook.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Mukhopadhyay, Rajendrani (2009). "J. Analytical Chemistry, Electrokinetics: it's in their genes". Analytical Chemistry. 81 (11): 4166–4168. doi:10.1021/ac9006683. PMID 19408938.
- ISO 20998-1:2006 Measurement and characterization of particles by acoustic methods -- Part 1: Concepts and procedures in ultrasonic attenuation spectroscopy
- ISO 20998-1:2013 Measurement and characterization of particles by acoustic methods -- Part 2: Guidelines for linear theory
- ISO 13099-1:2012 Colloidal systems – Methods for zeta-potential determination – Part 1: Electroacoustic and electrokinetic phenomena
- "Dispersion Technology Homepage". Dispersion.com. 2013-06-01. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Characterization of Liquids, Nano- and Microparticulates, and Porous Bodies using Ultrasound, ELSEVIER, 2010, 2nd Edition, Retrieved: 8 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,109,098 (2000), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,449,563 (2002), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,910,367 B1 (2005), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,487,894 B1 (2002), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,915,214 B2 (2005), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- patent USA, 6,858,147 B2 (2005), Retrieved: 9 October 2013
- "Nihon Rufuto". Nihon Rufuto. 1982-08-01. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Rusnano". Rusnano. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Quantachrome UK". Quantachrome.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Acil Weber Brazil". Archive.is. 2013-10-11. Archived from the original on 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- "Young Jin Co., Ltd". Protechkorea.co.kr. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- ATS Scientific Inc. "ATS Scientific Inc". Ats-scientific.com. Retrieved 2018-02-07.
- Guerin, M. Seaman, J.C., Lehmann, C., and Jurgenson, A., Acoustic and electroacoustic characterization of variable charge mineral suspensions, Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 52, 2, 158-170 (2004)
- Richter, A., Voight, T., Rippeger, S., Ultrasonic attenuation spectroscopy of emulsions with droplet sizes greater than 10 microns, JCIS, 315, 482-492 (2007)
- Bell, N., Cesarano, J., Voight, J.A., Lockwood, S.J. and Dimos D.B., Colloidal processing of chemically prepared zinc oxide varistors. Part 1. Milling and dispersion of powder, J. Mat. Res., 19, 5, 1333-1340 (2004)
- Hackley, A.V., Lum, Lin-Sien, Ferraris, C.F., Acoustic sensing of Hydrating Cement Suspensions: An explanatory study Archived 2013-02-18 at the Wayback Machine, NIST Technical Note 1492, (2007)
- Plank, J. and Hirch, C., Impact of zeta potential of early cement hydration phases on superplasticizer adsorption, Cement and Concrete Research, (2007)
- Plank, J. and Sachsenhauser, B., Impact of molecular structure on zeta potential and adsorbed conformation of a-allyl-w-methoxypolyethylene glycol-maleic anhydride superplasticizers, Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 4, 2, 233-239 (2006)
- Dukhin, A.S. and Goetz, P.J., Bulk viscosity and compressibility measurement using acoustic spectroscopy, The Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol.130, Issue 12, (2009)
- Dukhin, A.S., Goetz, P. J. and Thommes, M., Seismoelectric effect: A non-isochoric streaming current. Experiment, JCIS. 345, pp. 547-553 (2010)
- Gacek, M., Bergman, D., Michor, E., and Berg, J.C., Effect of trace water on charging of silica particles dispersed in a nonpolar medium, Langmuir, 28, pp. 11633-11638 (2012)
- Kosmulski, M., Hartikainen, J., Maczka, E., Janus, W. and Rosenholm, J.B., Multiinstrument study of the electrophoretic mobility of fumed silica, Anal.Chem., 74, 253-256 (2002)
- Wilhelm, P., Stephan, D., On-line tracking of the coating of nanoscaled silica with titania nanoparticles via zeta-potential measurements, JCIS, 293, 88-92 (2006)
- Kosmulski, M., Dahlstem, P., Rosenholm, J.B., Electrokinetic studies of metal oxides in the presence of alkali trichloroacetates, trifluoroacetates, Colloids and Surfaces, 313, 202-206(2007)
- Gaydardzhiev, S. and Ay,P., Evaluation of dispersant efficiency for aqueous alumina slurries by concurrent techniques, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, 27, 413-417 (2006)
- Schoelkopf, J., Gantenbein, D., Dukhin, A.S., Goetz, P.J. and Gane, P.A.C., Novel particle size characterization of coating pigments, Conference Paper
- Ishikawa, Y., Aoki, N., and Ohshima, H., Characterization of latex particles for aqueous polymeric coating by electroacoustic method, Colloids and Surfaces B, 46, 147-151 (2005)
- Plank, J. and Gretz, M., Study on the interaction between anionic and cationic latex particles and Portland cement, Colloids and Surfaces, A., 330, pp. 227-233 (2008)
- Guerin, M. and Seaman, J.C., Characterizing clay mineral suspensions using acoustic and electroacoustic spectroscopy, Clays and Clay Minerals, 52, 2, 145-157 (2004)
- Ali, S. and Bandyopadhyay, R., Use of Ultrasound Attenuation Spectroscopy to Determine the Size Distribution of Clay Tactoids in Aqueous Suspensions, Langmuir, 29 (41), 12663–12669 (2013)
- Sun, Y.-P., Li, X., Cao, J., Zhang, W. and Wang.H.P., Characterization of zero-valent iron nanoparticles, Adv. in Colloid and Interface Sci., 120, 47-56 (2006)
- Bell, N. and Rodriguez, M.A., Dispersion properties of an alumina nanopowder using molecular, polyelectrolyte, and steric stabilization, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 4, 3, 283-290 (2004)
- Wines, T.H., Dukhin A.S. and Somasundaran, P., Acoustic spectroscopy for characterizing heptane/water/AOT reverse microemulsion, JCIS, 216, 303-308 (1999)
- Magual, A., Horvath-Szabo G., Masliyah, J.H., Acoustic and electroacoustic spectroscopy of water-in-diluted bitumen emulsions, Langmuir, 21, 8649-8657 (2005)
- Dukhin, A.S. and Goetz, P.J., Evolution of water-in-oil emulsion controlled by droplet-bulk ion exchange: acoustic, electroacoustic, conductivity and image analysis, Colloids and Surfaces, A, 253, 51-64 (2005)
- Dukhin, A. S., Goetz, P.J. and Theo G.M. van de Ven, Ultrasonic characterization of proteins and blood cells, Colloids and Surfaces B, 52, 121-126 (2006)
- Bonacucina, G., Misici-Falzi, M., Cespi, M., Palmieri, G.F., Characterization of micellar systems by the use of Acoustic spectroscopy, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 97, vol. 6, 2217–2227, (2008)
- Stenger, F., Mende, S., Schwedes, J., Peukert, W., Nanomilling in stirred media mills, Chemical Engineering Science, 60, 4557-4565 (2005)
- Mende, S., Stenger, F., Peukert, W. and Schwedes, J., Mechanical production and stabilization of submicron particles in stirred media mills, Powder Technology, 132, pp. 64-73 (2003)
- Orozco, V.H., Kozlovskya, V., Kharlampieva, Eu., Lopez, B.L. and Tsukruk, V.V., Biodegradable self-reporting nanocomposite films of poly(lactic acid) nanoparticles engineered by layer-by-layer assembly, Polymer, 51, 18, 4127–4139
- Dukhin, A.S., Parlia, S., Studying homogeneity and zeta potential of membranes using electroacoustics, Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 415-415, pp. 587-595 (2012)
- Bhosale P. S. and Berg, J. C., Acoustic spectroscopy of colloids dispersed in a polymer gel systems, Langmuir, 26 (18), pp. 14423-14426 (2010)