Director-General of RTÉ
The Director-General is chief executive and editor-in-chief of public service broadcaster Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ). The current Director-General is Dee Forbes, who replaced Noel Curran in the role in 2016.
Appointment and role
The RTÉ Board appoints the Director-General of RTÉ who in effect fulfils the dual role of Chief Executive and of Editor in Chief. The Director-General heads the RTÉ Executive Board, which comprises the company's top management and includes the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Communications and the Managing Directors of the Television, Radio, and News divisions. The Director-General reports to the Board and sits on it "in an ex officio capacity". The current Director-General serves a term of five years (reduced from seven years) at which point he/she may ask for an extension.
|Edward J. Roth||1960 – 1962|
|Kevin McCourt||1962 – 1968|
|Thomas P. Hardiman||1968 – 1975|
|Oliver Maloney||1975 – 1978|
|George T. Waters||1978 – 1985|
|Vincent Finn||1985 – 1992|
|Joe Barry||1992 – 1997|
|Bob Collins||1997 – 2003|
|Cathal Goan||2003 – 2010|
|Noel Curran||2011 – 2016|
|Dee Forbes||2016 –|
- "RTÉ Executive Board". Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "RTÉ announces next Director General".
- "Members of the RTÉ Executive Board". RTÉ Press Centre. Archived from the original on 17 September 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Oireachtas Communications Committee Ratifies New Members of RTÉ Board and Broadcasting Authority of Ireland". Oireachtas. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Eamon Ryan (9 November 2010). "Minister Ryan welcomes appointment of Noel Curran as new Director General of RTÉ". Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Director General announces he will step down in October 2003". RTÉ Press Centre. Archived from the original on 24 February 2007. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "Curran named as RTÉ's next Director General". RTÉ. 9 November 2010. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- "RTÉ appoints Dee Forbes as Director-General, RTÉ". RTÉ. 6 April 2010. Retrieved 6 April 2010.