Diminished Capacity is a 2008 comedy film directed by Terry Kinney and written by Sherwood Kiraly, based on his novel of the same name. It stars Matthew Broderick, Virginia Madsen, and Alan Alda. It was released at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and opened in theaters in July 2008. It was produced by Plum Pictures.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Terry Kinney|
|Produced by||Galt Niederhoffer|
Daniela Tapling Lundberg
|Written by||Sherwood Kiraly|
|Edited by||Tim Streeto|
A newspaper editor suffering from memory loss after an accident takes a trip to a memorabilia expo with his Alzheimer's-impaired relative, Rollie, and his high school flame, Charlotte. The plan is for Rollie to sell a rare baseball card, but a few people want the card.
- Matthew Broderick as Cooper Zerbs
- Virginia Madsen as Charlotte
- Alan Alda as Rollie Zerbs, Cooper's Uncle
- Louis CK as Big Stan
- Jim True-Frost as Donny Prine
- Dylan Baker as Mad Dog McClure
- Bobby Cannavale as Lee Vivyan
- Jeff Perry as Casey Dean, Cooper's boss
- Lois Smith as Belle Zerbs, Cooper's mother
- Chris Bauer as Lloyd, Charlotte's ex
- Tom Aldredge as Wendell Kendall
The movie opened to generally mediocre reviews, with just 33% of critics followed by Rotten Tomatoes giving it a favorable review. USA Today said that it "has moments of sweetness, but not enough poignancy or wit to turn it into the endearing art-house comedy that it aspires to be." Time Out New York said, "Great, just what we needed: another rote exercise in indie-feely humanism."