Dimethylamphetamine (Metrotonin), also known as dimetamfetamine (INN), dimephenopan and N,N-dimethylamphetamine, is a stimulant drug of the phenethylamine and amphetamine chemical classes. Dimethylamphetamine has weaker stimulant effects than amphetamine or methamphetamine and is considerably less addictive and less neurotoxic compared to methamphetamine. However, it still retains some mild stimulant effects and abuse potential, and is a Schedule I controlled drug.
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||163.259 g/mol g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Dimethylamphetamine has occasionally been found in illicit methamphetamine laboratories, but is usually an impurity rather than the desired product. It may be produced by accident when methamphetamine is synthesised by methylation of amphetamine if the reaction temperature is too high or an excess of methylating agent is used.
- Witkin JM, Ricaurte GA, Katz JL. Behavioral effects of N-methylamphetamine and N,N-dimethylamphetamine in rats and squirrel monkeys. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 1990 May;253(2):466-74.
- Ricaurte GA, DeLanney LE, Irwin I, Witkin JM, Katz JL, Langston JW. Evaluation of the neurotoxic potential of N,N-dimethylamphetamine: an illicit analog of methamphetamine. Brain Research. 1989 Jun 26;490(2):301-6.
- Fasciano J, Hatzidimitriou G, Yuan J, Katz JL, Ricaurte GA. N-methylation dissociates methamphetamine's neurotoxic and behavioral pharmacologic effects. Brain Research. 1997 Oct 10;771(1):115-20.
- Katz JL, Ricaurte GA, Witkin JM. Reinforcing effects of enantiomers of N,N-dimethylamphetamine in squirrel monkeys. Psychopharmacology. 1992;107(2-3):315-8.
- US Drug Enforcement Administration: Microgram Bulletin
- US Drug Enforcement Administration: The Identification of d-N,N-Dimethylamphetamine (DMA) in an Exhibit in Malaysia
- Reinhard Dettmeyer; Marcel A. Verhoff; Harald F. Schütz (9 October 2013). Forensic Medicine: Fundamentals and Perspectives. Springer Science & Business Media. pp. 519–. ISBN 978-3-642-38818-7.