Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World
Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World is the title character of a British children's fantasy-adventure comedy film released in 1973 starring Jim Dale, and directed by Joseph McGrath. A large supporting cast of British movie stalwarts includes Spike Milligan, Angela Douglas, Norman Rossington, Milo O'Shea, Dinsdale Landen and Victor Spinetti. The production included composer Edwin Astley and cinematographer Harry Waxman. The film was based on the novel The Biggest Dog in the World by Ted Key.
|Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World|
|Directed by||Joseph McGrath|
|Produced by||Walter Shenson|
|Written by||Charles Isaacs|
Ted Key (novel)
|Narrated by||Ted Key|
|Music by||Edwin Astley|
|Edited by||Jim Connock|
Walter Shenson Films
|Distributed by||Twentieth Century Fox (UK)|
Cinerama Releasing Corporation (US)
The film starred Fernville Lord Digby in the title role. Digby was then the reigning Dulux Old English Sheepdog; the company using the breed since 1961 in their advertisements that led to the breed's popularity around the world.
An Old English Sheepdog accidentally drinks a liquid growth formula (a form of experimental fertilizer) and expands to gigantic proportions. Two criminals steal Digby and sell him to a circus. Digby later escapes and roams across the countryside of the United Kingdom. The boy who owns Digby, as well as the scientist who worked on the growth formula, both realize that Digby is still growing and will cause enormous damage unless something is done immediately. The scientist finds out he has created a chemical that might reverse the growth formula. The British military, however, aims to solve the problem of the oversized sheepdog in their own way: by use of bombs and artillery.
- Jim Dale - Jeff Eldon
- Angela Douglas - Janine
- Spike Milligan - Dr. Harz
- John Bluthal - Jerry
- Milo O'Shea - Dr. Jameson
- Norman Rossington - Tom
- Richard Beaumont - Billy White
- Dinsdale Landen - Colonel Masters
- Garfield Morgan - Rogerson
- Victor Spinetti - Professor Ribart
- Harry Towb - Ringmaster
- Kenneth J. Warren - General Frank
- Bob Todd - The Great Manzini
- Molly Urquhart - Aunt Ina
- Frank Thornton - Estate Agent
- Victor Maddern - Dog Home Manager
- Sheila Steafel - Control Operator
- "Digby the Biggest Dog in the World (1973)".
- "Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World (1973) - Joseph McGrath - Cast and Crew - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Gifford, Denis (1 April 2016). "British Film Catalogue: Two Volume Set - The Fiction Film/The Non-Fiction Film". Routledge – via Google Books.
- "Video: Dulux dog returns to TV screens for first time in a decade". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 19 October 2015.