Diego Muhammad bin Robbie Michiels or Diego Michiels (born August 8, 1990 in Deventer, Netherlands) is an Indonesian professional footballer who currently plays for Borneo as a full-back in the Liga 1. Diego is of Dutch-Indonesian roots. His father, Robbie Michiels, is from Jakarta. While his mother, Annet Kloppenburg, is a Dutch citizen.
|Full name||Diego Muhammad bin Robbie Michiels|
|Date of birth||August 8, 1990|
|Place of birth||Deventer, Netherlands|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2007–2009||Go Ahead Eagles|
|2009–2011||Go Ahead Eagles||17||(0)|
|2012||→ Arema Indonesia (loan)||18||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 November 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 29 March 2014
In 2011, Diego and Joey Suk were invited by the Indonesian Football Association to play for the Indonesia national under-23 football team in Jakarta. According to the newspaper report, he was interested in joining the Indonesian national team, even though he would have to give up his Dutch passport. Along with Joey and Ruben Wuarbanaran, will be able to play for the Indonesia. He made his debut for Indonesia in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification against Bahrain on February 29, 2012.
|Indonesia national team|
On November 9, 2012, Diego allegedly violated two criminal code articles on assault in a Jakarta nightclub and faced at least three months and twenty days in jail. On March 7, 2013, he was released from jail.
Diego converted to Islam in 2013 and took the Islamic name Diego Muhammad bin Robbie Michiels.
- "Indonesia - D. Michiels - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway".
- JPNN.com. "Paspor Tiga Pemain Naturalisasi Tuntas".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-12-15. Retrieved 2012-12-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Media, Kompas Cyber. "Diego Michiels Masuk Islam di Ruang Sidang - Kompas.com".
- Diego Michiels at National-Football-Teams.com