Die Entlassung (English title: The Dismissal) is a 1942 German film directed by Wolfgang Liebeneiner about the dismissal of Otto von Bismarck. It was one of only four films to receive the honorary distinction "Film of the Nation" ("Film der Nation") by the Reich Propaganda Ministry Censorship Office.
|Directed by||Wolfgang Liebeneiner|
|Music by||Herbert Windt|
|Cinematography||Fritz Arno Wagner|
|Edited by||Martha Dübber|
The success of the 1940 film Bismarck led to this film as a sequel.
The film is also known as Bismarck's Dismissal in the United Kingdom, Schicksalswende (West German rerun title) and Wilhelm II. und Bismarck (new West German title).
The film shows Bismarck being dismissed by Wilhelm II of Germany and the dilettantes who surround him. An unscrupulous schemer plays on the king's desire to lead and so persuades him to the dismissal. This results in a disastrous two-front war by destroying Bismarck's treaty with Russia and leaving him to lament with the question of who would complete his work.
- Emil Jannings as Fürst Bismarck
- Margarete Schön as Fürstin Johanna Bismarck
- Christian Kayßler as Graf Herbert Bismarck
- Theodor Loos as Kaiser Wilhelm I
- Karl Ludwig Diehl as Kaiser Friedrich III
- Hildegard Grethe as Kaiserin Friedrich
- Werner Hinz as Kaiser Wilhelm II
- Werner Krauss as Geheimrat von Holstein
- Otto Graf as Graf Eulenburg
- Paul Hoffmann as Graf Waldersee
- Paul Bildt as Minister von Bötticher
- Walther Süssenguth as Zar Alexander
- Franz Schafheitlin as Botschafter Graf Schuwalow
- Herbert Hübner as Generaladjutant von Hahnke
- Rudolf Blümner as Chef des Zivilkabinetts von Lucanus
- Fritz Kampers as Professor Dr. Schwenninger
- Emil Heß as Grossfürst Wladimir
- Heinrich Schroth as General von Caprivi
Release and reception
Much emphasis was laid on Bismarck's notion of Greater Germany. His failure was depicted as leading to Versailles.
- SabineHake, German National Cinema, p. 63
- Robert Edwin Hertzstein, The War That Hitler Won p305 ISBN 978-0-399-11845-6
- Robert Edwin Hertzstein, The War That Hitler Won p305-6 ISBN 978-0-399-11845-6
- Erwin Leiser, Nazi Cinema p120 ISBN 978-0-02-570230-1
- Robert Edwin Hertzstein, The War That Hitler Won p306 ISBN 978-0-399-11845-6
- Erwin Leiser, Nazi Cinema p119 ISBN 978-0-02-570230-1