Richard Dye (May 11, 1902 – January 3, 1952), known professionally as Dick Curtis, was an American actor who made over 230 film and television appearances during his career.
May 11, 1902
|Died||January 3, 1952 49) (aged|
|Spouse(s)||Ruth Sullivan (1925-1952; his death)|
|Children||John (1929-2004) |
Curtis was born in Newport, Kentucky, the son of Frank Dye and Elizabeth Faulkner Dye.
Standing at 6' 3", Curtis appeared in films stretching from Charles Starrett to The Three Stooges. In most of his films, he played villains or heavies. He made television appearances on The Lone Ranger and The Range Rider. He appeared in California Gold Rush, Spook Town, The Gene Autry Show, and many others.
Though his forte was in villainous roles, Curtis had a genuine comedic touch. As such, modern audiences will recognize Curtis for his roles in such Three Stooges films as Yes, We Have No Bonanza, You Nazty Spy!, and The Three Troubledoers.
Curtis died of lung cancer on January 3, 1952, at age 49. Curtis died 15 days before Stooge Curly Howard, and two months before fellow Stooge character actor Eddie Laughton in March. His final appearance with the Stooges was as Shemp Howard's dental patient in The Tooth Will Out, filmed in February 1951.
- Racing Luck (1935)
- Burning Gold (1936)
- Ghost Patrol (1936)
- The Traitor (1936)
- Daniel Boone (1936)
- Counsel for Crime (1937)
- The Gambling Terror (1937)
- The Old Wyoming Trail (1937)
- The Shadow (1937)
- Two Gun Law (1937)
- Outlaws of the Prairie (1937)
- Penitentiary (1938)
- Rawhide (1938)
- West of Cheyenne (1938)
- The Main Event (1938)
- Adventure in Sahara (1938)
- South of Arizona (1938)
- Flat Foot Stooges (1938)
- Call of the Rockies (1938)
- Law of the Plains (1938)
- North of Shanghai (1939)
- Flying G-Men (1939)
- We Want Our Mummy (1939)
- Mandrake the Magician (1939)
- Yes, We Have No Bonanza (1939)
- Overland with Kit Carson (1939)
- The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
- Oily to Bed, Oily to Rise (1939)
- The Stranger from Texas (1939)
- The Thundering West (1939)
- The Taming of the West (1939)
- You Nazty Spy! (1940)
- Rockin' Thru the Rockies (1940)
- Terry and the Pirates (1940)
- Across the Sierras (1941)
- Two Yanks in Trinidad (1942)
- Higher Than a Kite (1943)
- Salute to the Marines (1943)
- The Phantom (1943)
- Crash Goes the Hash (1944)
- Lady in the Death House (1944)
- Blonde from Brooklyn (1945)
- Song of Arizona (1946)
- Lost City of the Jungle (1946)
- The Three Troubledoers (1946)
- Renegade Girl (1946)
- Wyoming (1947)
- Three Arabian Nuts (1951)
- Don't Throw That Knife (1951)
- The Tooth Will Out (1951)
- Tenkotte, Paul A.; Claypool, James C. (2015). The Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky. University Press of Kentucky. p. 253. ISBN 9780813159966. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Mayer, Geoff (2017). Encyclopedia of American Film Serials. McFarland. p. 85. ISBN 9780786477623. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Dick Curtis as threestooges.net
- Pauley, Jim (2012). The Three Stooges Hollywood Filming Locations. Solana Beach, California: Santa Monica Press, LLC. p. 288. ISBN 9781595800701.