Diana Fountain, Green Park
The Diana Fountain, also known as Diana of the Treetops, is a fountain and statue of Diana by Jim Clack that stands in Green Park. The park and statue are located within the boundaries of the City of Westminster in central London.
The statue was a gift of the Constance Fund, a trust fund set up in accordance with the wishes of the artist Sigismund Goetze to commission sculpture for London's parks. The Constance Fund agreed to fund the statue in June 1950, and a design competition was organised. In October 1951 it was announced that Clack, a teacher at Blundell's School in Devon, had won. The statue was accepted and unveiled by Sir David Eccles, the Minister of Works, on 30 June 1954 (although other sources suggest 1952).
From its unveiling until 2011, the statue stood in the centre of the park, on the site of an earlier fountain by Sydney Smirke that was deemed beyond repair. In 2011, Clack's statue was removed from that site, and placed to form the centrepiece of a new entrance that gives direct access to the park from Green Park Underground station. At the same time some gilding was added.
- "The New Fountain in the Green Park, Piccadilly". Illustrated London News. England. 10 July 1954. Retrieved 1 November 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "The Constance Fund". The National Archives. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Speel, Bob (2011). "Sculpture of the Month—October 2011—The Diana Fountain, Green Park". Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "E J Clack to Move Centre Stage at Green Park Station". www.peterberthoud.co.uk. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
Media related to Diana Fountain, Green Park at Wikimedia Commons