Destriero is a 67-metre (220 ft) long, 13-metre (43 ft) wide, 400-ton displacement, yacht built by Fincantieri in their Muggiano yard at La Spezia in 1991. She is fitted with three GE Aviation LM1600 gas turbines totalling 60,000-horsepower (45,000 kW), providing her with a maximum speed of 110 kilometres per hour (68 mph; 59 kn). Destriero was built with the sponsorship of the Aga Khan IV and others specifically to cross the Atlantic Ocean in record time and secure the Blue Riband.
|Displacement:||400 long tons (406 t)|
|Length:||68.19 m (223.7 ft)|
|Beam:||13 m (43 ft)|
|Propulsion:||3 × GE Aviation LM1600 gas turbine engines, 60,000 hp (45,000 kW) total|
|Speed:||67 knots (124 km/h; 77 mph)|
In 1992 Destriero crossed the Atlantic, without refuelling, twice, firstly westbound from Tarifa Point, Spain to Ambrose Light, New York. Her eastbound voyage was from the Ambrose Light to Bishop Rock, Isles of Scilly, a distance of 3,106 nautical miles (5,752 km), at an average speed of 53.09 knots (98.32 km/h). Despite the record time of 58 hours, 34 minutes and 5 seconds, Destriero was denied the Hales Trophy, because she was classed as a "private yacht" and not a "commercial passenger vessel". Destriero did, however receive the Virgin Atlantic Challenge Trophy, awarded by former record-holder Richard Branson for the fastest crossing by any vessel, and the Columbus Atlantic Trophy sponsored by the Costa Smeralda and New York Yacht Clubs for the fastest trans-Atlantic round-trip.
- "GE Gas Turbines Provide Reliable Propulsion and Onboard Power for 17 Cruise Ships". GE Aviation. 12 March 2007. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "Fincantieri celebrates 20th anniversary of Destriero record". Superyacht Times. Superyacht Company BV. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Lloyd, Barbara (1 June 1992). "Boating; A Race Against Time And Atlantic's Waters". New York Times. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Destriero Laid Up at Devonport". Irishseashipping.com. 26 August 2006. Archived from the original on February 20, 2012. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Ships Registry Information
- Info Page for Motor Yacht DESTRIERO by Fincantieri Yachts - Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani