Desert Sun Stadium
Desert Sun Stadium is a soccer-specific stadium in Yuma, Arizona, originally built for baseball. It was the spring training home of the San Diego Padres from 1970 through 1993, the North American League's Yuma Scorpions minor league baseball team, the Arizona Winter League, and the Arizona Summer League. The stadium serves as the main field of the Ray Kroc Baseball Complex.
|Location||1280 W. Desert Sun Dr., Yuma, AZ 85365|
|Field size||120 yards x 75 yards|
|Frontera United (UPSL)(2015-2017)|
Arizona Strikers FC (W-League)(2015)
Yuma Scorpions/Panthers (NAL) (2005-2013)
San Diego Padres (MLB) (Spring Training) (1970-1993)
Yakult Swallows (NPB) (Spring Training) (1979-1998)
The stadium was built for the 1970 spring training season using a 2% hospitality tax and $100,000 in bonds. The Padres started training in Yuma in 1969 but trained out of Keegan Field, on 24th Street, while the new ballpark was being built. The first game was March 6, 1970, with Arizona Governor Jack Williams throwing out the ceremonial first pitch.
In 2015, Desert Sun Stadium was converted to a soccer stadium by OneGoal LLC, an organization that paid for the $15,000 conversion fee. Frontera United had played at Desert Sun Stadium from 2015 to 2017. WWE Wrestling occasionally makes a stop at the complex.
- O’Reilly, Charles (January 24, 2011). "Desert Sun Stadium, Yuma, Ariz". Charlie's Big Baseball Parks Page. Archived from the original on April 18, 2011. Retrieved July 30, 2011.
- Patrick, Jim (February 8, 2016). "San Diego Padres in Yuma–Spring Training 1969". yumalibrary.org. Yuma County Library District. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- "Kelly keys San Diego 6-1 victory". The Arizona Republic. United Press International. March 7, 1970. p. 119.
- Cobbs, Chris (February 24, 1985). "Penant Pays Off For Yuma, Ariz. : Desert Town Rallies' Round Padres' Flag". Los Angeles Times.
- Sweet, Holly (March 4, 2015). "Yuma City Council to approve Desert Sun Stadium contract". KYMA KSWT KECY News. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Stadium Information: Desert Sun Stadium". Arizona Winter League. Golden Baseball League. Archived from the original on November 17, 2010.