Derrick Capel Farr (7 February 1912, in Brentford, Middlesex – 22 March 1986, in Hillingdon, Middlesex) was an English actor who appeared regularly in British films and television from 1938 until his death in 1986. His more famous roles include Group Captain John Whitworth in The Dam Busters.
Derrick Capel Farr
7 February 1912
|Died||22 March 1986 74) (aged|
Hillingdon, Middlesex, England
|Spouse(s)||Carole Lynne (1939-1945)|
Muriel Pavlow (1947-1986)
After working as a schoolteacher, he took to the stage in 1937, and in 1938 got his first film role. He served in the Second World War, and after the war resumed his acting career, mainly in character parts.
His second marriage was in 1947 to actress Muriel Pavlow whom he met in 1941 while filming Quiet Wedding, and again on the set of The Shop at Sly Corner (1947). They remained married until Farr's death in March 1986, aged 74.
- Miracles Do Happen (1938) - Greenlaw's Secretary (uncredited)
- The Outsider (1939) - (uncredited)
- Q Planes (1939) - Minor Role (uncredited)
- Black Eyes (1939) - Minor Role (uncredited)
- Inspector Hornleigh on Holiday (1939) - Bridge Club Member (uncredited)
- Freedom Radio (1941) - Hans
- Quiet Wedding (1941) - Dallas Chaytor
- Spellbound (1941) - Laurie Baxter
- Wanted for Murder (1946) - Jack Williams
- Quiet Weekend (1946) - Denys Royd
- Tehran (1946) - Pemberton Grant
- Code of Scotland Yard (1947) - Robert Graham
- Bond Street (1948) - Joe Marsh
- Noose (1948) - Capt. Jumbo Hyde
- The Story of Shirley Yorke (1948) - Gerald Ryton
- Silent Dust (1949) - Maxwell Oliver
- Man on the Run (1949) - Sgt. Peter Burden, alias Brown
- Double Confession (1950) - Jim Medway
- Murder Without Crime (1950) - Stephen
- Young Wives' Tale (1951) - Bruce Banning
- Reluctant Heroes (1951) - Michael Fone
- Little Big Shot (1952) - Sergeant Wilson
- Front Page Story (1954) - Teale
- Eight O'Clock Walk (1954) - Peter Tanner
- Bang! You're Dead (1954) - Detective Grey
- The Dam Busters (1955) - Group Captain J. N. H. Whitworth, D.S.O., D.F.C.
- Value for Money (1955) - Duke Popplewell
- The Man in the Road (1956) - Ivan Mason / Dr. James Paxton
- Town on Trial (1957) - Mark Roper
- Doctor At Large (1957) - Dr. Potter-Shine
- The Vicious Circle (1957) - Kenneth Palmer
- The Truth About Women (1957) - Anthony
- Attempt to Kill (1961) - Det. Insp. Minter
- The Saint (1962, TV Series) - John Clarron / Mrs. Jafferty
- The Projected Man (1966) - Inspector Davis
- 30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia (1968) - TV Announcer
- The Johnstown Monster (1971) - Hamer
- Pope Joan (1972) - Count Brisini
- Crossroads (1972-1973, TV Series) - Timothy Hunter
- Nightingale's Boys (1975, TV Series) - Bill Nightingale
- Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (1978, TV Series) - Dr. Mender
- "British actor Derek Farr, 74". Lakeland Ledger. 25 March 1986. p. 7C. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Erickson, Hal. "Derek Farr". AllMovie. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Davies, Anthony; Stanley Wells. Shakespeare and the Moving Image: The Plays on Film and Television. p. 89.
- IMDb entry