Department of Rural and Community Development
The Department of Rural and Community Development (Irish: An Roinn Forbartha Tuaithe agus Pobail) is a department of the Government of Ireland. It is led by the Minister for Rural and Community Development who is assisted by one Minister of State.
|Formed||19 July 2017|
|Headquarters||10–11 Leinster Street South,|
Dublin 2, D02 EF85
The headquarters and ministerial offices of the department are in 10–11 Leinster Street South, Dublin 2. The departmental team consists of the following:
- Minister for Rural and Community Development: Michael Ring, TD
- Secretary-General of the Department: Kevin McCarthy
Agencies and Bodies under the Department's Aegis:
- Western Development Commission
- Irish Water Safety
- Charities Regulator
Rural: Town and Village Renewal scheme, Rural Recreation Infrastructure Scheme , Rural Walks Scheme, Rural Development Fund, CLÁR, LEADER programme, Tidy Towns competition, Dormant Accounts Fund (also supporting disadvantaged urban communities).
Community: Social Inclusion and Community Programme, Community Facilities Scheme, Revitalising Areas by Planning, Investment and Development (RAPID) Programme, Libraries Investment Programme, Seniors Alert Scheme, Community and Voluntary Supports Programme, National Organisations Supports Programme, PEACE Programme.
The Department of Rural and Community Development was created by the Ministers and Secretaries (Amendment) Act 2017 as part of the reorganisation of governmental departments in the government of Leo Varadkar. The divisions had previously existed within the same department between 2002 and 2010 in the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.
Transfer of functions
|19 July 2017||Establishment of the Department of Rural and Community Development|
|27 July 2017||Transfer of Rural Affairs from the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs|
|27 July 2017||Transfer of Community Development from the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government|
- "Ministers and Secretaries (Amendment) Act 2017". Irish Statute Book. 19 July 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Rural Affairs (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2017". Irish Statute Book. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Community Development (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2017". Irish Statute Book. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2019.