Department of Reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs
|Formed||30 January 2001|
|Dissolved||26 November 2001|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
When it was established in January 2001, the department incorporated many of the functions of the former Office of Indigenous Policy in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. The department was short-lived, when it was abolished in November 2001 its functions were amalgamateed into the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs as the Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs.
Information about the department's functions and/or government funding allocation could be found in the Administrative Arrangements Orders, the annual Portfolio Budget Statements and in the Department's annual report.
- Developing and evaluating policy effecting Indigenous peoples
- Providing services and programs to Indigenous peoples
- Liaising with Indigenous leaders and providing advice to the Minister on indigenous issues
- Providing advice on indigenous reconciliation
- Providing advice on the social and economic position of Indigenous peoples
- Providing advice on land and resource matters
- Providing advice on litigation involving the Commonwealth
- Providing advice on international indigenous matters
The Department was an Australian Public Service department, staffed by officials who were responsible to the Minister for Reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs.
- CA 8828: Department of Reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 11 January 2014
- Department of Reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs. "Annual Report 2000–01". Australian Government. Archived from the original on 15 December 2002.
- FINANCE AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION LEGISLATION COMMITTEE - RECONCILIATION AND ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER AFFAIRS PORTFOLIO, Australian Parliament House, 28 May 2001, archived from the original on 23 January 2014
- "Appendix B - Identifiable Commonwealth Expenditure on Reconciliation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs", The Commonwealth Budget 2001–2002, archived from the original on 30 March 2012
- Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (2002), DIMIA Annual Report 2001-02, archived from the original on 8 October 2013