Department of Higher Education (India)
|Jurisdiction||Government of India|
|Parent department||Ministry of Human Resource Development|
The department is empowered to grant deemed university status to educational institutions on the advice of the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India, under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956.
The department is divided into eight bureaus, and most the work of the department is handled through over 100 autonomous organisations under these bureaus.
- University and Higher Education; Minorities Education
- University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR)
- Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR)
- Indian Council of Philosophical Research (ICPR)
- 38 Central Universities (including 15 new Central Universities which have been established w.e.f. 15.01.2009 by an ordinance promulgated by President of India)
- Indian Institute of Advanced Studies (IIAS), Shimla
- All India Survey of Higher Education (AISHE)
- Technical Education
- All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE)
- Council of Architecture (COA)
- 4 Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) (Allahabad, Gwalior, Jabalpur and Kancheepuram)
- 16 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- 5 Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs)
- 13 Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)
- 30 National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
- 3 School of Planning and Architecture (SPAs)
- 4 National Institutes of Technical Teachers’ Training & Research (NITTTRs)
- 4 Regional Boards of Apprenticeship / Practical Training
- Administration and Languages
- Three Deemed Universities in the field of Sanskrit, viz. Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan (RSkS), New Delhi, Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth (SLBSRSV), New Delhi, and Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth (RSV), Tirupati
- Kendriya Hindi Sansthan (KHS), Agra
- English and Foreign Language University (EFLU), Hyderabad
- National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL)
- National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language (NCPSL)
- Three subordinate offices: Central Hindi Directorate (CHD), New Delhi; Commission for Scientific & Technological Terminology (CSTT), New Delhi; and Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Distance Education and Scholarships
- UNESCO, International Cooperation, Book Promotion and Copyrights, Education Policy, Planning and Monitoring
- Integrated Finance Division.
- Statistics, Annual Plan and CMIS
- Administrative Reform, North Eastern Region, SC/ST/OBC
- National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA)
- National Book Trust (NBT)
- National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions (NCMEI)
- National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT)
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS)
- Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS)
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)
- Central Tibetan School Administration (CTSA)
- National Foundation for Teachers' Welfare
- a public sector enterprise, Educational Consultants India Limited (EdCIL)
Notes and references
- "UGC Act-1956" (PDF). mhrd.gov.in/. Secretary, University Grants Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IISST) Thiruvanathapuram Declared as Deemed to be University, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Press Information Bureau, 14 July 2008
- "IIST gets deemed university status", The Hindu, 15 July 2008
- ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE Archived 29 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine Department of Higher Education website.
- Technical Education Overview Archived 5 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine Dept of Ed.
- National Level Councils Archived 1 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine Tech Ed.
- Council of Architecture website
- Department of Higher Education– Official website
- Niranjana, Tejaswini (2014). "EPW_report_Indian_Languages_in_Indian_Higher_Education" (PDF). pdf.js. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Loan Assistance for Higher Education