Department of Education (Australia)
The Australian Department of Education is a department of the Government of Australia, formed on 29 May 2019 and charged with the responsibility for national policies and programs that help Australians access quality and affordable early childhood education, school education, higher education, vocational education and training, international education and academic research.
The national office of the Department of Education, 50 Marcus Clarke Street, .
|Formed||29 May 2019|
|Jurisdiction||Commonwealth of Australia|
The department was formed by way of an Administrative Arrangements Order issued on 29 May 2019. It incorporated the functions of the previous Department of Education and Training, with the exception that:
- vocational education and training and apprenticeships transferred to the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business; and
- migrant adult education transferred to the Department of Home Affairs.
The Department of Education's predecessor departments have been:
- Department of Education and Science (13 December 1966 – 19 December 1972)
- Department of Education (19 December 1972 – 11 March 1983)
- Department of Education and Youth Affairs (11 March 1983 – 13 December 1984)
- Department of Education (13 December 1984 – 24 July 1987)
- Department of Employment, Education and Training (DEET) (24 July 1987 – 11 March 1996)
- Department of Employment, Education, Training and Youth Affairs (DEETYA) (11 March 1996 – 21 October 1998)
- Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs (DETYA) (21 October 1998 – 26 November 2001)
- Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST) (26 November 2001 – 3 December 2007)
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) (3 December 2007 – 18 September 2013)
- Department of Education (18 September 2013 – 23 December 2014)
- Department of Education and Training (23 December 2014 – 29 May 2019)
- Schools education policy and programs, including vocational education and training in schools
- Schooling transitions policy and programs including career pathways
- Education and training transitions policy and programs
- Youth affairs and programs, including youth transitions
- Pre-school education policy and programs
- Higher education policy, regulation and programs
- Policy, coordination and support for international education and research engagement
- Coordination of research policy in relation to universities
- Creation and development of research infrastructure
- Research grants and fellowships
- Childcare policy and programmes
- Co-ordination of early childhood development policy and responsibilities
- "Administrative Order Arrangements" (PDF). Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "Secretary". Department of Education and Training. Commonwealth of Australia. December 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Associate Secretaries and Deputy Secretaries". Department of Education and Training. Commonwealth of Australia. December 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Home page". Department of Education. Commonwealth of Australia. December 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Administrative Arrangements Order - Summary of changes" (PDF). Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 9 June 2019.