Denise Bryer (born 5 January 1928) is an English actress and voice actress.
|Occupation||Actress, voice actress|
(m. 1954; div. 1989)
Best remembered in her UK homeland for her work on the Gerry Anderson series, Terrahawks, where she voiced both the main villain Zelda and the heroic Capt. Mary Falconer, Bryer became well known in the United States when she voiced Billina in Disney's 1985 film Return to Oz, as well as The Junk Lady in the 1986 movie Labyrinth, and many other films. In addition to her work voice acting in film and television, she worked extensively on UK radio and children's recordings.
Bryer first came to public attention when she voiced Twizzle in Gerry Anderson's The Adventures of Twizzle and would go on to voice in Anderson's later series Four Feather Falls as Ma Jones and Little Jake. She also voiced Kiki The Frog in Hector's House and Noddy on the eponymous television show. She dubbed the voice of Commander Makara in the Japanese puppet series Star Fleet around the same time as Terrahawks. In Big Finish's Doctor Who audio dramas The Reaping and The Gathering, she provided the voice of Dominique Van Gyseghem.
Bryer also starred in or narrated several of the stories in the Tale Spinners for Children series of record albums released beginning in 1960. She also was a narrator of the Marshall Cavendish partwork Storyteller I and II as well as the little StoryTeller series.
Bryer married actor/presenter Nicholas Parsons in 1954; together they have two children. Bryer and Parsons divorced in 1989 after thirty five years of marriage.
Film and television
- Junior Miss (1946) - Lois Graves
- Here Comes Kandy (1956) - Additional voices
- The Adventures of Twizzle (1957–1958) - Twizzle, Additional voices
- Four Feather Falls (1960) - Martha Jones, Makooya the Little India Boy, Additional voices
- Maigret (1963) - Child's Voice
- Hector's House (1966) - Kiki the Frog, Mrs. Frog (voices)
- Gulliver's Travels (1977) - Additional voices
- Star Fleet (1980–1982) - Commander Makara (voice)
- Hercules (1983) - Circe (voice; uncredited)
- Terrahawks (1983–1986) - Mary Falconer, Zelda
- Return to Oz (1985) - Billina (voice)
- Labyrinth (1986) - The Junk Lady (voice)
- G-Force Intergalactic (1993) - Dr. Julie Sigmund
- The Noddy Shop (1998–1999) - Nobby (voice)
- Reflections in the Mirror (2018) - Billina (voice)
- Tale Spinners for Children series (1960s)
- "Latest Titles With Denise Bryer". IMDb.com. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Paul Scofield's Performances". Scofieldsperformances.com. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Tale Spinners for Children". Artsreformation.com. Archived from the original on 13 August 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2017.