Defence Services Staff College
The Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) is an inter-service institution of the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India.
|Motto||Sanskrit: Yuddham Pragya |
English: To War with Wisdom
|Type||Inter-service institution of the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of India|
|Established||1905 as the Army Staff College in Deolali|
|Commandant||Lt. Gen. YVK Mohan, AVSM, SM, VSM|
|Students||Personnel of Indian Armed Forces|
One of the oldest military institutions in India, it was founded in 1905 as the Army Staff college in Deolali (near Nashik), and then re-located to Quetta (now Pakistan). After the partition of India and Pakistan, the Indian operations relocated to its present home in Wellington Cantonment in The Nilgiris District of Tamil Nadu, India.
By 1950 it was progressively transformed into a fully integrated Defence Services Staff College, imparting training to Officers of the three services in the company of some officers from the Indian Civil Services, Para Military Forces and friendly foreign countries. DSSC is affiliated to Madras University for award of M.Sc. degree in Defence and Strategic Studies and was recognized as a research institute in 1990.
- Hans-Christoph Ammon, Head of German special forces
- Lt. Gen. Zorawar Chand Bakshi (born 1921) PVSM, MVC, VrC, VSM
- Muhammadu Buhari, President and former military Head of State, Nigeria
- R. N. Malhotra, former governor of the Reserve Bank of India
- Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- Olusegun Obasanjo, former Nigerian President
- Sitiveni Rabuka OBE, MSD, OStJ, 3rd Prime Minister of Fiji
- Padmavathy Bandopadhyay, first woman Air Marshal of the Indian Air Force
- Tirath Singh Oberoi, Punjab Regiment, recipient of Vir Chakra, later governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Admiral Jayant Ganpat Nadkarni, PVSM, AVSM, NM, VSM, ADC (5 December 1931 – 2 July 2018) an Indian Navy admiral who served as the 14th Chief of the Naval Staff of the Indian Navy.
- Lieutenant Colonel Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, RWP, RSP, GR - current President of Sri Lanka