Dean of Christ Church
The Dean of Christ Church is the dean of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford and head of the governing body of Christ Church, a constituent college of the University of Oxford. The cathedral is the mother church of the Church of England Diocese of Oxford and seat of the Bishop of Oxford. The chapter of canons of the cathedral has formed the governing body of the college since its foundation, with the dean as ex officio head of the chapter and ipso facto head of the college. Since 4 October 2014, the dean has been Martyn Percy.
List of deans
From the diocese's foundation in 1542 until 1545, the cathedral was at Osney. There, the cathedral deans were:
The academic deans of Christ Church's predecessor Oxford colleges were:
- John Hygdon (Dean of Cardinal College, 1525–1531; Dean of King Henry VIII's College, 1532–1533)
- John Oliver (Dean of King Henry VIII's College, 1533–1545)
Both the college and the see at Osney surrendered to the Crown on 20 May 1545. Christ Church, the double establishment of cathedral and college, was founded by letters patent on 4 November 1546.
† Died in office
- Christ Church, Oxford – The Dean of Christ Church (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- Horn, Joyce M. (ed.). "Oxford: Introduction". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857. 8. pp. 69–72. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "No. 27329". The London Gazette. 2 July 1901. p. 4399.
- "Christ Church, Oxford – Dean, Cathedral Chapter and Staff". Archived from the original on 2012-02-24. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Oxford Mail – Dean of Christ Church preparing to retire and start new life in Suffolk (Accessed 7 May 2014)
Horn, Joyce M. (ed.). "Deans of Christ Church, Oxford". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857. 8. pp. 80–83. Retrieved 12 September 2019.