de Havilland T.K.1
The de Havilland T.K.1 was a 1930s British two-seat biplane and the first design built by students of the de Havilland Technical School.
|National origin||United Kingdom|
|Manufacturer||de Havilland Technical School|
Design and development
The T.K.1 was built by students under the direction of Marcus Langley at Stag Lane Aerodrome in 1934, based on converting the de Havilland Swallow Moth monoplane to a biplane. It was a conventional two-seat biplane powered by a 120 hp (90Kw) de Havilland Gipsy III and first flown in June 1934. It was flown by Geoffrey de Havilland to 5th place in the 1934 Kings Cup Race with a speed of 124.4 mph. It was sold onto a private owner in 1936 who flew it for as short time as a single-seater before it was scrapped.
- Crew: 2
- Length: 24 ft 0 in (7.32 m)
- Wingspan: 27 ft 0 in (8.23 m)
- Empty weight: 950 lb (431 kg)
- Gross weight: 1450 lb (658 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × de Havilland Gipsy III, 120 hp (90 kW)
- Maximum speed: 118 mph (189 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 100 mph (160 km/h)
- Jackson 1974, page 321
- Lewis 1972, p.187.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to De Havilland T.K.1.|
- Jackson, A.J. (1974). British Civil Aircraft since 1919 Volume 3. London: Putnam. ISBN 0-370-10014-X.
- Lewis, Peter. "T.K. Series: Designs of the de Havilland Aeronautical Technical School". Air Pictorial. Vol. 34 No. 5 no. May 1972. pp. 187–191.