David Stevenson (engineer)
David Stevenson MICE FRSE FRSSA (11 January 1815 – 17 July 1886) was a Scottish lighthouse designer, who designed over 30 lighthouses in and around Scotland, and helped continue the dynasty of lighthouse engineering founded by his father.
|Born||11 January 1815|
|Died||17 July 1886 71)(aged|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
|Employer||Northern Lighthouse Board|
Elizabeth Mackay (m. 1840)
|Children||David Alan Stevenson|
Charles Alexander Stevenson
|Parent(s)||Robert Stevenson (father)|
Jean Smith (mother)
|Relatives||Thomas Stevenson (brother)|
Alan Stevenson (brother)
He was born on 11 January 1815 at 2 Baxters Place at the top of Leith Walk in Edinburgh, the son of Hean Smith and engineer Robert Stevenson. He was brother of the lighthouse engineers Alan and Thomas Stevenson. He was educated at the High School in Edinburgh then studied at the University of Edinburgh. In 1838 he became a partner in his father's (and uncle's) firm of R & A Stevenson.
In 1853 he moved to the Northern Lighthouse Board.
Between 1854 and 1880 he designed many lighthouses, all with his brother Thomas. In addition he helped Richard Henry Brunton design lighthouses for Japan, inventing a novel method for allowing them to withstand earthquakes. His sons David Alan Stevenson and Charles Alexander Stevenson continued his work after his death, building nearly thirty further lighthouses.
In the 1860s he lived at 25 Royal Terrace, Edinburgh.
In 1868/9 he served as President of the Royal Scottish Society of the Arts.
- Sketch of the Civil Engineering of North america (1838)
- Canal and River Engineering (c.1870)
- The Life of Robert Stevenson (1878)
In 1840 he married Elizabeth Mackay (1816-1871). Their children included Charles Alexander Stevenson and David Alan Stevenson. His daughter Jane Stevenson (d.1909) married William Mackintosh, Lord Kyllachy.
His nephew was Robert Louis Stevenson.
Lighthouses designed by David Stevenson
- Whalsay Skerries (1854)
- Out Skerries (1854)
- Muckle Flugga (1854)
- Davaar (1854)
- Ushenish (1857)
- South Rona (1857)
- Kyleakin (1857)
- Ornsay (1857)
- Sound of Mull (1857)
- Cantick Head (1858)
- Bressay (1858)
- Ruvaal (1859)
- Corran Point (1860)
- Fladda (1860)
- McArthur's Head (1861)
- St Abb's Head (1862)
- Butt of Lewis (1862)
- Holborn Head (1862)
- Monach Islands (1864)
- Skervuile (1865)
- Auskerry (1866)
- Lochindaal (1869)
- Scurdie Ness (1870)
- Stoer Head (1870)
- Dubh Artach (1872)
- Turnberry (1873)
- Chicken Rock (1875)
- Lindisfarne (1877, 1880)
- Edinburgh and Leith Post Office directory 1815-16
- Biographical Index of Former Fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 1783–2002 (PDF). The Royal Society of Edinburgh. July 2006. ISBN 0 902 198 84 X.
- Edinburgh Post Office Directory 1862