He has performed clarinet concertos with many major orchestras around the world.
- He served as principal clarinet with several orchestras, including the American Symphony Orchestra under Leopold Stokowski, and the Cleveland Orchestra.
- From 1992 to 2004 he was Artistic Director of The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.
- Since 1987 he has been professor of clarinet (adjunct) at the Yale University School of Music.
- He has served on the faculties of the Juilliard School, the University of Southern California, the University of Michigan, the Cleveland Institute of Music, and the University of Hawaii.
- He was appointed Artistic Director of Chamber Music Northwest in 1981.
Three of his recordings have been nominated for Grammy Awards:
- The collected chamber music of Claude Debussy, with the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center
- The Copland Clarinet Concerto
- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro (with the Tokyo String Quartet)
His 1985 recording of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto and Clarinet Quintet, in which he performed on a custom-made basset clarinet, was named "Record of the Year" by Stereo Review Magazine.