David G. Lefer is an American professor, journalist and author, who holds the post of Industry Professor at New York University’s Polytechnic Institute, where he directs the Innovation and Technology Forum.
He worked as a journalist for the New York Daily News, Newsday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and The China News in Taiwan. He was also a co-producer of the PBS talk show The Digital Age. Lefer co-wrote the book They Made America (Little, Brown 2004), with Harold Evans and Gail Buckland. This history of American innovation was subsequently made into a four-part PBS series, which Lefer helped to produce. Fortune Magazine named the book one of the top 100 business books of the past 75 years, and the Los Angeles Times review praised its educational value, although the New York Times was less complimentary. According to WorldCat, the book is in 1596 libraries.
Lefer is also the author of The Founding Conservatives: How a Group of Unsung Heroes Saved the American Revolution, published by Penguin in June 2013. The book was favorably reviewed in the Washington Times and the National Review, and by The Kirkus Review and Publishers Weekly.
- "David G Lefer | NYU-Poly". Poly.edu. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "David Lefer". Harvard Magazine. 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- Evans, Harold; Buckland, Gail; Lefer, David (2004). They Made America: From the Steam Engine to the Search Engine: Two Centuries of Innovators. Little, Brown and Co. ISBN 978-0-316-27766-2. ISBN 0-316-27766-5.
- Lord, M. G. (2005-03-06). "Their Yankee ingenuity helped change the world". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Genzlinger, Neil (2005-01-23). "'They Made America': 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Marketing". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- WorldCat book listing
- "BOOK REVIEW: 'The Founding Conservatives' - Washington Times". www.washingtontimes.com. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- "Prudence and Principle - National Review Online". www.nationalreview.com. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Giles, Harlow. "THE FOUNDING CONSERVATIVES by David Lefer | Kirkus". Kirkusreviews.com. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Lefer, David. "Nonfiction Book Review: The Founding Conservatives: How a Group of Unsung Heroes Saved the American Revolution". www.publishersweekly.com. ISBN 978-1-59523-069-0. Retrieved 2014-09-23.