David Burns (actor)
|Born||June 22, 1902|
Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
|Died||March 12, 1971 68) (aged|
Life and career
He made his Broadway debut in 1921 in Polly Preferred and went to London with the show in 1924. His first musical was Face the Music in 1932, and Cole Porter's Nymph Errant (1933) was his London debut. He appeared in many comedies and musicals over an almost 50-year career.
Burns introduced the hit song "It Takes a Woman" from Hello, Dolly (1964) as the original "Horace Vandergelder".
Burns won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor – Drama Series for his role of Mr. Solomon in the 1971 TV special (Hallmark Hall of Fame) The Price by Arthur Miller.
Awards and nominations
|1958||Tony Award||Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical||The Music Man||Won|
|1963||A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum||Won|
|1966||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series||The Trials of O'Brien||Nominated|
|1971||Hallmark Hall of Fame||Won|
|Tony Award||Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical||Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen||Nominated|
- Oderman, Stuart, Talking to the Piano Player 2. BearManor Media, 2009. ISBN 1-59393-320-7.
- Sandra Brennan. "David Burns - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "David Burns". BFI.
- "David Burns, 69, Star In Musicals" The New York Times, March 13, 1971.
- The Broadway League. "David Burns - IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information".
- Face the Music ibdb.com, retrieved October 12, 2017
- Nymph Errant sondheimguide.com, retrieved October 12, 2017
- "David Burns Broadway" Playbill.com; retrieved October 12, 2017.
- "Search Past Tony Award Winners and Nominees - TonyAwards.com - The American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards® - Official Website by IBM". TonyAwards.com. Archived from the original on 2016-08-31. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- The Broadway League. "Hello, Dolly! - IBDB: The official source for Broadway Information".
- Hello, Dolly! Playbill.com; retrieved October 12, 2017.
- "David Burns Emmy" emmys.com, retrieved October 14, 2017
- Barnes, Clive. "Theater: Art Buchwald's 'Sheep on the Runway' " The New York Times, February 2, 1970
- "David Burns Films" tcm.com, retrieved October 12, 2017