Darryl Yaw A. Marfo (born 1 November 1990) is a Scottish international rugby player. He has previously played for Harlequins and Bath in Premiership Rugby, London Scottish, London Welsh and Ealing Trailfinders in the RFU Championship and Edinburgh Rugby in the Pro14. On 11 November 2017 he made his Scotland debut against Samoa, and has gained three caps.
|Birth name||Darryl Yaw A. Marfo|
|Date of birth||1 November 1990|
|Place of birth||Westminster, London, England|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb; 247 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Marfo was born in Westminster, London, to a Scottish mother. His parents separated when he was six or seven and he was raised by his mother on the Churchill Gardens estate in Pimlico where he experienced racist abuse. Marfo regularly visited his mother's family in Ayr.
A family friend introduced Marfo to rugby at Battersea Ironsides, this led to a scholarship to Pangbourne College in Berkshire. Marfo became the first black chief cadet captain in the school's history.
Marfo joined Harlequins academy as a 14yr-old, making his debut at 20 years old in September 2011 against Gloucester. He left Harlequins at the end of the 2014-15 season, to join London Welsh. When London Welsh were liquidated in December 2016 Marfo was worried that he would not be able to find a professional rugby contract, however quickly joined Bath on a short-term contract in January 2017. In the summer of 2017, Marfo signed a one-year contract with Edinburgh. He left the club in December 2019.
Marfo received his first call up to the senior Scotland squad by coach Gregor Townsend in October 2017 for the Autumn Internationals. He is eligible for Scotland through his Scottish born mother. He made his international debut on 11 November 2017 against Samoa, and also started against New Zealand and in Scotland's record win against Australia.
- "DARRYL MARFO". espn.co.uk. ESPN. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Marvellous Darryl Marfo's moving climb to Scotland prominence". bbc.co.uk. BBC Sport. 23 November 2017. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "Darryl Marfo: 'There were real thoughts of packing in - I needed money'". The Daily Telegraph. 13 November 2017. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "Darryl Marfo, Harry Allen and Ryan Glynn bolster London Welsh squad for 2015/16". Premiership Rugby. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 25 December 2017.
- "DARRYL MARFO TO JOIN LONDON WELSH". quins.co.uk. Harlequin F.C. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Bath Rugby bring in London Welsh's Darryl Marfo and put him straight into squad to face Gloucester". bathchronicle.co.uk. Bath Chronicle. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Darryl Marfo: Edinburgh sign Bath loose-head prop". bbc.co.uk. BBC Sport. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Marfo leaves Edinburgh Rugby". Edinburgh Rugby. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
- "Scotland: Gregor Townsend calls up 10 new caps for autumn Tests". BBC. 24 October 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "List of international starts". ESPN. Retrieved 25 December 2017.