Original film DVD cover
|Directed by||Radley Metzger|
|Produced by||Radley Metzger|
|Screenplay by||Radley Metzger|
|Music by||Laurence Rosenthal|
|Cinematography||Peter Erik Winkler|
|Edited by||Radley Metzger|
Era KM Films
|Distributed by||Audubon Films|
Era KM Films
First Run Features
An immigrant from Greece arrives in New York City to search for the man who mistreated his sister.
- Athan Karras as Yianni Martakis
- Jeanne Jerrems as Niki Vassos
- David Hooks as George Andros
- Rosemary Torri as Helen Vassos
- Edward Brazier as Jack Fields
- Nicholas Zapnoukayas as Mr. Vassos
- Ariadne Zapnoukayas as Mrs. Vassos
Dark Odyssey was favorably reviewed by The New York Times. According to film reviewer Howard Thompson, the film is a "thoughtful, unpretentious and creatively turned little drama ... a fresh, economical approach to an ancient dramaturgical formula". Gary Morris, another film reviewer, describes the film as having "visual beauty and emotional power" and being a "literal Greek tragedy shot on location in New York City". Film critic Dan Georgakas describes the film as the "best film featuring Greek American characters ever made". Dark Odyssey has been described, by one reviewer, as having a neorealistic style similar to Elia Kazan's On the Waterfront (1954) and Martin Ritt's Edge of the City (1957).
- Bentley, Toni (August 7, 2014). "The Art Cinema Erotica of Radley Metzger". The New York Review of Books. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris". Playboy. Archived from the original on February 4, 2016. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Bentley, Toni (June 2014). "The Legend of Henry Paris" (PDF). ToniBentley.com. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Thompson, Howard (June 26, 1961). "Screen: 'Dark Odyssey':Low-Cost Drama Has Premiere at Cameo". New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Staff. "A Talk With Radley Metzger". Mondo-Digital.com. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- Morris, Gary (1998). "Radley Metzger - Dark Odyssey and Little Mother". ImagesJournal.com. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Georgakas, Dan (1998). "Dark Odyssey". Senses of Cinema. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Hasan, Mark R. (2011). "DVD: Dark Odyssey (1961)". KQEK.com. Retrieved April 10, 2017.