Daraa offensive (January 2015)
The Daraa offensive (January 2015), was a rebel offensive launched in Daraa Governorate during the Syrian civil war, in an attempt to capture the remaining Army positions in Shaykh Maskin, and thus secure the Daraa–Damascus highway, and other positions in Daraa province.
|Daraa offensive (January 2015)|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
Map of the battle for Shaykh Maskin
|Commanders and leaders|
Col. Saber Safar|
Brig. Ibrahim Fahad Al Naimi
(Southern Command commander)
Brig. Assad al Zubi
Capt. Abdul Hakim Eid
(Black Islam Brigade commander)
Maj. Gen. Nadeem Squir Ayman †|
(Brigade 82 commander)
Col. Mohammad Jaber
(Suqur al-Sahara commander)
|Casualties and losses|
77–97 killed||17+ killed|
On 24 January 2015, the rebels announced three battles in Daraa Governorate:
- "Fidak Ya Rasola Allah" or "Victory only comes from Allah"
- "Kick their Doors in"
- "Charge of the United"
That day, 10 rebel fighters (including a field commander) were killed. The next day, rebels breached Brigade 82 and captured its HQ, with fighting ongoing around the area. According to the news agency Alaan, rebels also captured the radar base in the northwest of the town. At least 40 fighters from both sides were killed in the clashes. According to Al-Masdar News, 14 soldiers were killed before the Army retreated from Brigade 82. The rebels declared the town of Shaykh Maskin as "liberated" soon after the Army retreated from the base. According to Al-Arabiya news agency, rebels overran most of the town after they captured Brigade 82.
On 29 January, rebels advanced near Al-Suhayliyyeh and Dilli, capturing farms adjacent to the northern part of Shaykh Maskin. However, according to Al-Masdar, the Army recaptured the Faroun Storage Facility and positions in Dilli after these initial gains. The same source also claimed that the Army repelled a rebel attack on Al-Atash village. Two days later, the Army launched a counter-offensive on Brigade 82, claiming that it recaptured the Oxygen Plant and Niqta Al-Masarat and advanced to the base's northern entrance in its outskirts. However, the Army was forced to retreat from the north of the base "in order to regroup". Meanwhile, rebels advanced in Dilli village towards the centre. On 31 January, an Al Jazeera film crew visited the Brigade 82 radar base in the northwest of Shaykh Maskin, confirming that the base was taken during the initial phase of the offensive.
- sohranas. "The Nusra Front, several rebel and Islamic factions seize the Brigade 82". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Leith Fadel. "Dara'a: The Al-Nusra Front Captures Brigade 82 Base". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "المعارضة السورية تسيطر على كتيبة النيران بريف درعا". YouTube. 31 January 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "الثوار في درعا يسيطرون على مدينة الشيخ مسكين واللواء 82 بالكامل". Al Aan TV. Archived from the original on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "Syria rebels overtake strategic base in south". Al Arabiya. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Leith Fadel. "Rebel offensive intensifies in Daraa; Syrian Army recaptures Faroun Storage Facility". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Leith Fadel. "Dara'a: Syrian Army Attempts to Counter Rebels at Battalion 82". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Moderate Syrian rebels say they're advancing on Damascus from south". Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "A military leader in Hezbollah killed in al- Sheikh Meskin clashes". SOHR. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- [syriadirect.org/rss/1722-syria-direct-news-update-12-3-14 SYRIA DIRECT: NEWS UPDATE 12-3-14]
- "Syria Update: November 25 - December 02, 2014". Institute for the Study of War. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "archicivilians on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "The Syrian Rebellion Observatory: 9-11-2014". Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- ""نوى".. مدخل لدمشق بيد الثوار". Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- بالأسماء…91 ضابط قتيل للنظام منذ بداية العام الحالي
- "مقتل لواء في جيش الأسد بريف درعا". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-03-11.
- "Senior Al-Qaeda Fighter Killed at Sheikh Miskeen; Desert Hawks Reassigned to Dara'a Front". Al-Masdar News. 12 November 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Leith Fadel. "Al-Jazeera Journalist Wounded at Sheikh Miskeen; Heavy Fighting Reported in the City". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Syrian Army Opens a Supply Route to Sheikh Miskeen". Al Masdar News. 25 November 2014.
- Master. "179 killed on Saturday 24/01/2015". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Master. "122 killed on Sunday 25/01/2015". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- المرصد السوري. "استشهاد ومصرع نحو 25 مقاتلاً في اشتباكات بدير الزور وريف درعا". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- sohranas. "15 fighters die in clashes in Daraa". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- sohranas. "10 fighters killed in Daraa, and the Islamic and rebel factions announce start of new battle". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- "Peto Lucem on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "أورينت نت - تحرير اللواء 82 في درعا..مدينة الشيخ مسكين محررة بالكامل". Retrieved 26 January 2015.