Danderyd Municipality (Danderyds kommun; Swedish pronunciation: [ˇdanːdɛˌryːd] (
2006 wintertime view over Danderyd
Coat of arms
|• Total||32.67 km2 (12.61 sq mi)|
|• Land||26.4 km2 (10.2 sq mi)|
|• Water||6.27 km2 (2.42 sq mi) 18.6%|
|Area as of 1 January 2014.|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
The "old" rural municipality Danderyd was split up during the early 20th century, when Djursholm and Stocksund broke away in 1901 and 1910 respectively. Since 1971 Danderyd Municipality is reunified in approximately the old boundaries.
Danderyd is served by the Stockholm public transport system through SL. There are two stations on the Stockholm metro red line: Danderyds sjukhus and Mörby centrum. There are also several stops on the narrow gauge Roslagsbanan suburban railway as well as an extensive bus network including a large bus interchange at Danderyds sjukhus.
Income and Education
The population in Danderyd Municipality is among the most affluent in the country, having the highest median income per capita. One of the reasons for this is the high price on real estate, which in turn is partially due to a restrictive policy on new developments by the municipality council.
The high income of the population has enabled the municipality to maintain a relatively low rate of taxation, but a government redistribution scheme intended to transfer money from municipalities with a better than average economic situation is one factor that has forced the local government to raise the municipal income tax somewhat in the last few years.
Danderyd Municipality also has the highest share (57.0%) of highly educated persons (Statistics Sweden definition: persons with post-secondary education that is three years or longer) in the country.
Source: SCB - Folkmängd efter region och tid.
Residents with a foreign background
On 31 December 2017 the number of people with a foreign background (persons born outside of Sweden or with two parents born outside of Sweden) was 6,402, or 19.47% of the population (32,888 on 31 December 2017). On 31 December 2002 the number of residents with a foreign background was (per the same definition) 4,512, or 15.16% (29,755 on 31 December 2002). On 31 December 2017 there were 32,888 residents in Danderyd, of which 5,394 people (16.40%) were born in a country other than Sweden, divided by country in the table below. Nordic countries as well as the 12 most common countries of birth outside of Sweden for Swedish residents have been included, with other countries of birth grouped together by continent by Statistics Sweden.
|Country of birth|
|3||Asia: Other countries||724|
|11||Africa: Other countries||196|
|26||Unknown country of birth||2|
- Ted Brithen (born 1990), ice hockey player
- Hanna Stjärne (born 1969), CEO, Sveriges Television
- Christian Lindberg (born 1958), musician and conductor
- Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland (born 1984), former model and reality television contestant, wife of Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland
- Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland (born 2015), son of Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland and Christopher O'Neill
- Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland (born 2016), son of Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland and Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland
- Helge von Koch (born 1870), mathematician and pioneer in fractals
- Irina Björklund (born 1973), Finnish actress, born in Danderyd
- Tove Lo (born 1987) pop musician
- Benjamin Ingrosso (born 1997) singer
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 2014-01-01. Archived from the original (Microsoft Excel) on 2016-09-27. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2018" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Statistics from Danderyd.se". Retrieved February 25, 2007.
- "Medianinkomst". Ekonomifakta. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "Andel högutbildade". Ekonomifakta. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- Antal personer efter region, utländsk/svensk bakgrund och år (Read 4 januari 2019)
- Statistiska centralbyrån: Utrikes födda efter län, kommun och födelseland 31 december 2017 (XLS-fil) Läst 4 januari 2019
- Danderyd Municipality - Official site