Damon and Pythias (film)
Il tiranno di Siracusa (English Release Title: Damon and Pythias) is a 1962 Italian/American film directed by Curtis Bernhardt. The film is based on the Greek legend of Damon and Pythias, and set during the reign of Dionysius I of Syracuse (432-367 BC).
|Damon and Pythias|
|Directed by||Curtis Bernhardt|
|Produced by||Sam Jaffe (associate producer)|
Samuel Marx (associate producer)
|Written by||Samuel Marx (story)|
Samuel Marx (screenplay)
Franco Riganti (screenplay)
Paola Ojetti/Franco Riganti (dialogue: Italian version)
Bridget Boland (dialogue: English version)
|Music by||Angelo Francesco Lavagnino|
|Edited by||Niccolò Lazzari|
|101 minutes (Italy)|
99 minutes (U.S.)
In ancient Greece, Pythias from Athens is on a trip to Syracuse. The tyrant Dionysius of Syracuse sees him as a dangerous follower of the philosopher Pythagoras and condemns him to death.
Pythias begs Dionysus to allow him to visit his wife in Athens promising to return to Syracuse to be executed. Pythias' friend Damon volunteers to be held hostage until Pythias returns. Dionysius sees this as the opportunity to demonstrate the falsity of Pythagoras' philosophy.
Dionysius allows Pythias to leave but does not expect him to return. Dionysius prepares to execute Damon, but at the last minute, Pythias returns to take Damon's place before the executioner. The tyrant's son intervenes and Damon and Pythias are both spared.
- Guy Williams as Damon
- Don Burnett as Pythias
- Ilaria Occhini as Nerissa
- Liana Orfei as Adriana
- Marina Berti as Mereka - Nerissa's Friend
- Arnoldo Foà as Dionysius the Tyrant
- Carlo Giustini as Cariso
- Aldo Silvani as Patriarch
- Andrea Bosic as Arcanos
- Franco Fantasia as Rumius the Fencing Master
- Lawrence Montaigne as Flute Player
- Enrico Glori as Nikos
- Gianni Bonagura as Philemon
- Carolyn De Fonseca as Chloe
The international distribution was taken over by MGM.
- Hughes, Howard (2011). Cinema Italiano - The Complete Guide From Classics To Cult. London - New York: I.B.Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84885-608-0.
- Garner and Gavin Sought as Costars: Wanted as 'Damon and Pythias'; Red Skelton's Friends Rallying Hopper, Hedda. Los Angeles Times 23 Dec 1960: A4.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Hughes, p.53