Dale A. Anderson
Dale A. Anderson is an American aerospace engineer, computational fluid dynamicist, researcher, author and professor. He pioneered research in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with his work at Iowa State University (ISU), alongside John C. Tannehill and Richard H. Pletcher. Anderson was the Professor of Aerospace Engineering, Vice President for Research, and Dean of Graduate Studies at the University of Texas at Arlington, United States. He is best known for his overall contributions to the field of computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
Dale A. Anderson
|Alma mater||St Louis University |
Iowa State University
|Known for||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
Education and career
He began his academic career as an assistant professor of aerospace engineering at ISU in 1964 and was promoted to full professor in 1975. In the late 1970s, NASA assisted ISU with a Computational Fluid Dynamics Center (also known as CFD Center) only one of 7 such centers built in the country, it was headed by Dale Anderson and assisted by John Tannehill, Richard Pletcher, Jerald Vogel, and Richard Hindman. The CFD Center was designed to coordinate research and interdepartmental course offerings. In 1980, The CDF Center won NASA recognition. Anderson, Tannehill, and Pletcher co-authored the textbook Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, originally published in 1984 but which came to be used by more than 90 schools and in 2012 published its third edition.
In 1984, he moved to the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), where he was professor of Aerospace Engineering and held several administrative positions, including Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate Studies. In 1986, Anderson was selected to receive the Saint Louis University Parks College Alumni Merit Award. He retired from UTA in 2005.
- Computational Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, with John C. Tannehill and Richard H. Pletcher, 2nd ed., Taylor & Francis, 1997.
- "Hall of Distinguished Alumni". Department of Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "History of the Department of Aerospace Engineering". Department of Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Fetty, Nick (2018-02-02). "Old meets new to make one of ISU's newest centers a reality". Iowa State University, College of Engineering News. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Anderson, D. A.; Tannehill, J. C.; Pletcher, R. H. (1984). Computational fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Hemisphere Publishing. p. 599. ISBN 0-07-050328-1.
- Pletcher, R. H.; Tannehill, J. C.; Anderson, D. A. (2011). Computational fluid mechanics and heat transfer, Third Edition. CRC Press. p. 774. ISBN 978-1591690375.
- "Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology". parks.slu.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Retirement Reception for Dr. Dale Anderson