Daily Bread Food Bank

The Daily Bread Food Bank (DBFB) is a non-denominational Canadian charity organisation that strives to end hunger in urban communities. The organisation is based in Toronto, Ontario, and feeds thousands of low-income people a year. They also provide valuable resources to the same demographic in order to find them financial assistance and support when needed. The Daily Bread Food Bank is the largest food bank in Canada and was founded in 1983.[1]

Daily Bread Food Bank
Typenon-denominational Canadian charity organisation
Legal statusactive
Purposeadvocate and public voice, educator and network
HeadquartersToronto, Ontario,
Region served
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Official language
WebsiteOfficial website

80% of donations come from big companies, while the remaining 20% comes from the general public.[2] The food bank works mostly on public donations, and donations from food companies, which are especially solicited around Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving.


Every year, Daily Bread is the beneficiary of hundreds of events and drives throughout the city organized by thousands of volunteers.[3]


HoHoTO, called "the party that twitter built",[4] was one of the largest third-party community events in support of Daily Bread Food Bank. From 2008 to 2017, it was organized by Toronto's technology and media community as a party fundraiser and held each mid-December at the Virgin Mobile Mod Club. The event raised more than $250,000 for the Daily Bread in its first five years, as well as four tonnes of food.[5] HoHoTO has been cited as an example of social action by Twitter co-founder, Biz Stone, BoingBoing co-founder Cory Doctorow,[6] Queen Rania of Jordan,[7] and was referenced as a case study in a business book.[8]


  1. "Canadian Registered Charities". Canada Revenue Agency. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
  2. Stoffman, Judy (2006-10-01). "Telus rings in with help for Daily Bread". Toronto Star. Retrieved 6 December 2008.
  3. Daily Bread Food Bank. "Get Involved". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
  4. City of Toronto. "Toronto Festivals and Events Calendar: HoHoTO". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
  5. HoHoTO. "About HoHoTO". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
  6. HoHoTO. "About HoHoTO". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
  7. Ismail, Rahim (2013-12-17). "Queen Rania Hearts Toronto Twitterati". BlogTO. Toronto, ON: Tim Shore. Retrieved 2013-12-17.
  8. Czikk, Joseph (2013-11-25). "HoHoTO Holiday Bash Returns to Toronto". Betakit. Toronto, ON: Financial Post. Retrieved 2013-12-17.

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.