D. and W. Henderson and Company
David & William Henderson and Company was a Scottish marine engineering and shipbuilding company, based on Clydeside. The company was founded in 1872 and continued to operate until 1936. The company shipyard was on the northern banks of the River Clyde at the point where the River Kelvin joins the Clyde.
The Office Buildings existed until 2017 and were owned and run as Haulage Businesses. Firstly as Duncan Barbour Ltd and then by Clyde Port Authority as Scotway Ltd.
The company was founded in 1835 as Tod and Macgregor by David Tod and John Macgregor carrying out marine engineering work. In 1844 an account is given (complete with drawings) of the engine they built for the river steamer Invincible. This was a 'steeple' type engine rated at 85hp, with 49in piston diameter, and 50in stroke. This directly drove the 16ft diameter paddle wheels, which were 5ft 8in wide. Running at 31.5 revolutions per minute this gave a speed of 13.5 miles per hour. After the deaths of both David Tod and John Macgregor, the shipbuilding business was sold and renamed as D. and W. Henderson and Company.
Yachts of Note
Valkyrie II was a gaff-rigged cutter. She was designed by George Lennox Watson and built alongside HMY Britannia at the D&W Henderson shipyard, Meadowside, Partick on the River Clyde, Scotland in 1893 for owner Lord Dunraven of the Royal Yacht Squadron. Valkyrie II had a steel frame, a wooden hull, and a pine deck.
HMY Britannia was ordered in 1892 by Edward, Prince of Wales and designed by George Lennox Watson. She was a near sister ship to the Watson-designed Valkyrie II which challenged for the 1893 America's Cup. Details of the commission were arranged on the Prince’s behalf by William Jamieson who represented him and liaised closely with Watson. The build cost was £8,300 and like Valkyrie II, Britannia was built at the D&W Henderson shipyard in Partick on the River Clyde.
- The company office buildings can be seen here under the heading Scotway House. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/pictures-glasgows-abandoned-buildings-set-3050555
- Tod and McGregor
- "Direct-Action Steam-Engine Constructed for the River Steamer Invincible", The Practical Mechanic and Engineer's magazine, Sept 1844, pp307-309 and plates XVIII and XIX