Cressy is a small town 35 kilometres (22 mi) south-west of Launceston, Tasmania. It came into existence in the 1850s to service the surrounding wheat farms. At the 2006 census, Cressy had a population of 670. It is known as Tasmania's "Trout capital" for the good fishing in the area. It is also home to an extensive agriculture research facility for the Tasmanian Institute of Agricultural Research.
|Population||1,111 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||Northern Midlands Council|
Cressy was established as the main centre for the Cressy Company. The Cressy Company's first director Captain Bartholemew Boyle Thomas chose to name company after the Battle of Crecy in the 14th Century, at which one of his ancestors fought. The Cressy Company also known as the "Cressy Establishment", was a large agricultural company which owned a significant portion of the Norfolk Plains. The first building in Cressy was The Cressy Hotel built in 1845 by William Brumby. Cressy became an official township in 1848. Much of the land in the area was owned by the O'Connor family, founded by Irish migrant Roderic O'Connor.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Cressy (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Cressy (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 January 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)