Approximately three miles south of Stonehaven, Crawton Farm (grid reference NO879798) lies to the north of Catterline above a shingle beach. The ruins of 23 houses and a school are all that survive of the coastal hamlet on the clifftop. In its heyday, 30 Crawton men fished 12 boats and the village had its own fish merchant. Following nearly 50 years of decline due to overfishing, Crawton was finally deserted by its last inhabitant in 1927.
Crawton is known for its geological diversity and is a popular site for both university and school field trips. It is a tradition to perform a mini-bus quiz on the journey to Crawton, started by the geologist Ian Rae.
- "Stonehaven & Banchory map – OS Landranger 45". Ordnance Survey Shop. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Overview of Crawton". Gazetteer for Scotland. Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- "Scotland's Marine Atlas: Information for The National Marine Plan". The Scottish Government. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "Fetteresso Burial Chamber". The Modern Antiquarian.com. 2000-01-26. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Watt, Archibald (1985). Highways and Byways Round Kincardine. Aberdeen: Gourdas House. ISBN 978-0-907301-09-7. OCLC 42275024.