Council of Science Editors
The Council of Science Editors (CSE) is a United States–based nonprofit organization that supports editorial practice among scientific writers. In 2008, the CSE adopted the slogan "CSE: Education, Ethics, and Evidence for Editors (E4)".
History and organization
The organization was established in 1957 by the National Science Foundation and the American Institute of Biological Sciences as the Council of Biology Editors (CBE), being renamed the Council of Science Editors, with a broader mission, on January 1, 2000.
The membership of CSE comprises editorial professionals, mainly in the United States.
As well as providing services and advice online, CSE holds an annual meeting that includes short courses on topics such as journal editorship, publication management, manuscript editing, and journal metrics.
Policies and endorsements
The CSE offers guidance on ethics and practice in scientific publishing.
- CSE editorial policy statements
- Retreat and task force papers
- Other statements supported by CSE
The CSE publishes a style guide for scientific papers, Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, although CSE style is not as widely used as some other scientific styles such as AMA style and APA style. In 2014, CSE partnered with the University of Chicago Press to use the successful online platform of the Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) (which provides users with search and personal annotation of the manual) to publish Scientific Style and Format online. As of 2014, it is in the 8th edition. The 7th edition was published in 2006 and the 6th in 1994. Science Editor is the quarterly publication of the CSE; after one year, articles are available as open access (delayed open access).
- List of style guides
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- APA style
- Association of American Publishers
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- Association for Learned and Professional Society Publishers
- American Medical Writers Association
- Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS)
- Committee on Publication Ethics
- European Association of Science Editors
- National Association of Science Writers
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals
- "CSE Quick Citation Guide". Pennsylvania State University Libraries. Archived from the original on 2012-12-14.
- History of the Council of Science Editors, 2013, Council of Science Editors.
- "III. Council of Science Editors (CSE) Style". Library website. University of Louisiana at Monroe. Archived from the original on 2006-12-22.
- Citation Style Guides, Iowa State University
- Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, ISBN 978-0-226-11649-5
- Scientific Style and Format: The CSE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, ISBN 0-9779665-0-X, 680 pages.
- Scientific Style and Format: The CBE Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers, 6th edition, 1994, ISBN 0-521-47154-0
- Science Editor Archive Council of Science Editors