Costa Diadema is a Dream-class cruise ship owned by Carnival Corporation and operated by Costa Crociere. The ship was ordered in October 2012 and was delivered to Costa on October 25, 2014. At her time of delivery, Costa Diadema was the largest vessel to fly an Italian flag and Costa's largest vessel to date; she is currently Costa Crociere's flagship.
Costa Diadema in Palma de Mallorca, October 2019
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry:||
|Route:||Mediterranean, Persian Gulf|
|Cost:||€ 550 Million|
|Launched:||November 15, 2013|
|Christened:||November 7, 2014|
|Completed:||October 25, 2014|
|Acquired:||October 30, 2014|
|Maiden voyage:||November 1, 2014|
|In service:||November 8, 2014|
|Notes:||Largest ship in Costa fleet|
|Class and type:||Dream-class cruise ship|
|Length:||306 m (1,003 ft 11 in)|
|Beam:||37.20 m (122 ft 1 in)|
|Draught:||8.35 m (27 ft 5 in)|
Costa Cruises ordered the Dream-class vessel in October 2012, making her the largest ship to be ordered and built for Costa. The ship cost Carnival Corporation approximately $739 million to build.
Costa Diadema had her keel laid on December 10, 2012 at Fincantieri's shipyard in Marghera, marking the beginning of her hull assembly. She was officially launched on November 15, 2013, with an official ceremony performed by Franca Grasso, the ship's madrina at its launch. She was delivered on October 25, 2014 and performed a "Vernissage Cruise," from Trieste to Genoa on November 1. Her naming ceremony was held on November 7, 2014 at the Port of Genoa, where she was officially christened by Italian travel agent, Carolina Micelli.
Costa Diadema spent her inaugural season and subsequent seasons cruising the Western Mediterranean until she was redeployed to Dubai in November 2018 to begin cruising the Persian Gulf for the winter season. As of 2019, she currently rotates between the Mediterranean in the spring and summer months and the Persian Gulf in the fall and winter months.
Design and engineering
Costa Diadema's 11kV electrical generation system is provided from six generators, six aft/bow thruster electrical motors, HV main switchboard and distribution transformers, propulsion transformers, synchro drives, and motors from General Electric. The ship is also equipped with six Wärtsilä 12V46 engines that produce an output of 75,600 kW.
Costa Diadema features a total of 1,862 cabins that can accommodate a maximum of 4,947 passengers and 1,253 crew members and also has an outside promenade extending over 500 meters. The ship includes three swimming pools, three dining areas, a 4D cinema hall, and a Saṃsāra spa across four decks.
- "Costa Cruises' Future Flagship 'Costa Diadema' Launched (Italy)". World Maritime News. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Costa Diadema". Fincantieri. Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Costa takes delivery of Costa Diadema at Fincantieri's Marghera yard". 2014-10-25. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Zabala, Fred (2015-01-24). "Costa Diadema: Costa Cruises' New Flagship". Kemplon Engineering. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "New Costa Flagship Christened – Other Cruise News: Two German Cruise Ship Owners Insolvent – Cruise Names and Titles – Late Cruise News". Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "COSTA DIADEMA Floated Out". Maritime Matters. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Construction work on "Costa Diadema" started". www.shipandoffshore.net. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Construction Begins on World's Largest Italian Cruise Ship". www.cruisecritic.com. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Costa Diadema Floats Out For Final Stages Of Construction". Cruise Hive. 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Costa Cruises Officially Names Costa Diadema at Genoa Ceremony". TravelPulse. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Costa gears up for Diadema naming festivities in Genoa". Seatrade Cruise News. 2014-11-07. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- Ebelthite, Shaun (2018-09-05). "Costa sending largest ship Costa Diadema to Dubai for 2019/2020 Arabian Gulf cruise season". cruisearabiaonline.com. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- Staff, C. I. N. (2015-01-27). "GE's Power Conversion on New Costa Diadema". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- "Costa Diadema Cruise Ship". Ship Technology. Retrieved 2019-09-16.
- Shillinglaw, Greg (March 30, 2015). "Sailing Italian style". TravelPulse.com. Retrieved April 14, 2015.