Cornelian Bay, Tasmania
|LGA(s)||City of Hobart|
Tasmanian Aboriginal people of the Mouheneenner band lived by the River Derwent in the Cornelian Bay area for 8000 years – their shell middens can still be seen in the dark sands near the top of the low cliffs of Cornelian Point.
The first English navigator to explore the River Derwent was Lieutenant John Hayes – in 1793 he came ashore at this location and named the bay for the semi-precious cornelian stones found on the beach.
Soon after Sullivans Cove was settled in 1804, the Cornelian Bay site became the Government Farm, supplying fresh vegetables and other produce for the first residents of Hobart Town.
Industries and business
A waterfront restaurant and boathouses line the foreshore.
Cornelian Bay Cemetery
The cemetery contains 124 Commonwealth war graves of service personnel, 49 from World War I and 75 from World War II; 40 of the graves are in a plot known as the Hobart War Cemetery, the remainder scattered throughout the cemetery. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission also erected a memorial to 18 Australian service personnel - 16 soldiers, one sailor and one airman - who were cremated at the Crematorium in the latter war,as well as the Tasmania Cremation Memorial, to four service personnel whose ashes were scattered elsewhere in Tasmania. John Vincent Holland, V.C., has his grave in the cemetery. William Nevin Tatlow Hurst, Secretary for Lands (1925-1938) is buried in Section W, in his family's grave number 224.
Cornelian Bay is home to many sports fields and sports headquarters.
The headquarters of Hockey Tasmania is at the Tasmanian Hockey Centre, the location of all Hockey South roster matches. Hockey Tasmania has two teams in the Australian Hockey League, the men's Tasmanian Tigers and the women's Tasmanian Van Demons.
The Tasmanian University Boat Club and other rowing clubs are based at Newtown Bay.
- Parliament of Tasmania - House of Assembly Standing Orders Archived 30 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine "We acknowledge the traditional people of the land upon which we meet today, the Mouheneener people."
- "The History of Cornelian Bay Cemetery". www.srct.com.au. Archived from the original on 22 December 2008. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Cornelian Stone". www.semi-precious-stone.com/cornelian-stone.html. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Self's Point Land Act 1951". www.thelaw.tas.gov.au. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- "Southern Regional Cemetery Trust". www.srct.com.au. Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- CWGC Cemetery record, Hobart (Cornelian Bay) Cemetery.
- CWGC Cemetery report, Hobart (Cornelian Bay) Crematorium.
- "Tasmanian Ruby Union". www.tasrugbyunion.com.au. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Tasmanian Hockey Centre". hockeytas.org.au. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Basketball Tasmania". tas.basketball.net.au. Retrieved 28 June 2009.