Construction Industry Council
|Private company limited by guarantee|
|Headquarters||The Building Centre,|
|John Nolan (Chairman)|
Graham Watts OBE (Chief executive officer)
The Building Industry Council was established in 1988 with five founder members, holding its first meeting on 1 November 1988, and the body was incorporated in May 1999. It changed its name to the Construction Industry Council in April 1990.
The CIC provides a single voice for professionals across the built environment through its collective membership of 500,000 individual professionals and more than 25,000 firms of construction consultants. The breadth and depth of its membership means that CIC (like a small number of other bodies, including Constructing Excellence) can speak with authority on issues connected with construction without being constrained by the self-interest of any particular sector of the industry.
As representative of the views of professionals, it has a seat on the government/industry body, the Strategic Forum for Construction.
CICAIR Limited, a specially created wholly owned subsidiary of the CIC, is the sole body authorised to approve Approved Inspectors to undertake building control work in England and Wales.
The Construction Industry Council's work is managed on a day-to day basis by a small secretariat which works under the direction of the Chief Executive who is responsible to the Council. The Executive Board acts as the main policy and strategy vehicle of the Council.
Chairmen of the Building or Construction Industry Council and their terms of office:
- Sir Edmund Happold: 1988–1991
- Sir Ian Dixon CBE: 1991–1994
- Robin Wilson CBE: 1994–1996
- Christopher Vickers CBE: 1996–1998
- Robin Nicholson CBE: 1998–2000
- Michael Dickson CBE: 2000–2002
- Turlogh O'Brien CBE: 2002–2004
- Stuart Henderson: 2004–2006
- The Rt Hon Nick Raynsford MP: 2006–2008
- Keith Clarke CBE: 2008–2010
- Gordon Masterton OBE: 2010–2012
- Jack Pringle: 2012–2014
- Tony Burton: 2014–2016
- John Nolan: 2016–2018
In June 2018, former RIBA President Stephen Hodder was appointed deputy chairman, and is expected to succeed Nolan as chairman in June 2019.
The Construction Industry Council has three categories of membership: Full; Associate; and Honorary Affiliate Members.
- Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors
- Association of Consultant Architects
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering
- Association for Project Management
- Association for Project Safety
- British Approvals for Fire Equipment
- British Computer Society
- British Institute of Interior Design
- Building Research Establishment
- Building Services Research and Information Association
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institute of Housing
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association
- Ground Forum
- Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate
- Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institution of Engineering and Technology - Built Environment Sector
- Institution of Fire Engineers
- Institution of Specialist Surveyors and Engineers
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
- Local Authority Building Control
- Landscape Institute
- National House-Building Council
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Royal Town Planning Institute
- Safety Assessment Federation
- "About Us". The Construction Industry Council. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "New chairman for Construction Industry Council (4 July 2016)". Planning and Building Control Today. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Council and Executive Board". The Construction Industry Council. Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Speaking with one voice". New Civil Engineer. 22 October 1998. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "The Construction Industry Council". Companies House. Retrieved 26 June 2018.
- "CIC launches CICAIR Limited". Construction Industry Council. CIC. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- CIC appoints Keith Clarke as new Chairman, 11 June 2008
- New Chairman for the Construction Industry Council, 10 June 2010
- CIC appoints three new members to its leadership team, 10 June 2011
- "CIC appoints Tony Burton as its new Chairman". CIC. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "CIC looks to Hodder". The Construction Index. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "CIC Members". Construction Industry Council. Retrieved 8 June 2018.