Conspirator (1949 film)
Conspirator is a 1949 American-British film noir suspense/espionage/thriller film, directed by Victor Saville and starring Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor. Based on the 1948 novel Conspirator by Humphrey Slater, the film is about a beautiful eighteen-year-old American woman who meets and falls in love with a British Guards officer who turns out to be a spy for the Soviet Union. After they are married, she discovers his true identity and forces him to choose between his marriage and his ideology. When his Soviet handlers order him to murder his young American wife, he is faced with the ultimate choice. Conspirator was made for distribution by MGM.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Victor Saville|
|Produced by||Arthur Hornblow Jr.|
|Written by||Sally Benson|
|Screenplay by||Sally Benson|
by Humphrey Slater
|Music by||John Wooldridge|
|Edited by||Frank Clarke|
The film created some controversy over the age difference between Robert Taylor, who was in his late thirties, and Elizabeth Taylor, who was only sixteen at the time of production. The producers were careful to cut mentions in the film of British traitors during the Second World War, such as John Amery and Norman Baillie-Stewart, out of fear of litigation by their families. An indirect mention of Baillie-Stewart remained in the film, however, with him being referred to not by name, but simply as "that fellow in the Tower". The plot of the film also bore some similarities to the later case of the Cambridge Spies, including Donald MacLean.
- Robert Taylor as Major Michael Curragh
- Elizabeth Taylor as Melinda Greyton
- Robert Flemyng as Captain Hugh Ladholme
- Harold Warrender as Colonel Hammerbrook
- Honor Blackman as Joyce
- Marjorie Fielding as Aunt Jessica
- Thora Hird as Broaders
- Wilfrid Hyde-White as Lord Pennistone
- Marie Ney as Lady Pennistone
- Jack Allen as Raglan
- Helen Haye as Lady Witheringham
- Cicely Paget-Bowman as Mrs. Hammerbrook
- Karel Stepanek as Radek
- Nicholas Bruce as Alek
- Cyril Smith as Detective Inspector
- Janette Scott as Coupie, Aunt Jessica's grandchild (uncredited)
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Walker 1991, p.78–79.
- Walker, Alexander (1991). Elizabeth: The Life of Elizabeth Taylor. New York: Grove Press. ISBN 978-0802113351.
- Conspirator on IMDb
- Conspirator at the TCM Movie Database
- Conspirator at AllMovie
- Conspirator at the American Film Institute Catalog